Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Asking for help on getting a Rickenbacker bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eddie J, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Eddie J

Eddie J

Nov 25, 2004
    S.Korea, Asia
    Hi bass players over the world, I'm a bass lover living in South Korea.

I'm willing to buy a Rickenbacker 4003 bass, but it's not that easy to find one here in Korea. I guess it's very rare, but in almost everyone's wishlist - I heard that if one or two appears in the domestic market it sells out within 1-2days.

1. (About the finish color) Could someone please describe the color 'Midnight blue' for me? I collected a lot of pictures through the web, the blue color is great but in some photos it seems to have something like glitter in it. I like the glossy feel of 'Jet Glo', and I would like to know if MID feels glossy enough as JG.

2. (About Options) In some sites optional pickups - to vintage pickups - were available. I'd love to try this (as I love vintage stuff), but without any sound reference I'm afraid using more money on the pickups might result in :bawl: . Can anyone tell the difference? (I know that describing sound details in words are almost impossible, but I'm just too curious)

3. And if you know any good online rickenbacker dealers (used or new), please share with me. Sites with international shipping available (at least sites shipping to Military APO mailboxes) would be even better. Oooh I can't wait to get my new bass. :crying:

This is the first posting on this site, just with a bunch of questions (sorry). But I must admit that this forum is superb, I never seen a bass-specific forum this active before. Thanks in advance.

2. -Midnight blue is more of the darker blue. Such as this, and is similar to the same style as Jetglo.
    [​IMG]

The blue that is more bright and 'sparkly' is Azureglo i believe is what your thinking about. A discontinued colour.

-It is possible only to get the neck pickup currently changed to a vintage toaster style.

-The only Ric dealer i can think of who might ship that far is Mike Parks at www.ricpage.com

By the way..i hope you can find a someone with what your looking for already in stock...cause ordering a Rickenbacker can take AT LEAST 9 months. I have been waiting 9 months for my fretless Jetglo to be made. I hope you have much patience. ;)

Good luck...hope to see a new member of the Ric club.

3. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    Along with www.ricpage.com also check out www.pickofthericks.com .....I'm not sure about international shipping but I'm sure you could easily find out with an email.
    Here is a pic of my '97 Midnight Blue up close from when I did a pickup swap. The color is a deep blue color with metal flake and a nice heavy gloss. It doesn't look as "wet" in pics as it does in person.

(B'Aces High....Nine monthes isn't so bad to wait......if it makes you feel better I have been waiting since January of '01 for my 4004LK :eek: )

4. Yes, i remember your long wait for that Lemmy bass. Im still hoping it comes soon for you and is everything you hope it was.

I forgot to mention...there is this webpage based in the UK...its closer to you and maybe be able to get something to you easier. Maybe give them an email?
    http://www.ricsrus.com/

Also Bass Northwest gets Rics in from time to time and im sure they can order them as well (again, long wait time for ordered Rics) But i know for a fact they ship worldwide.
    www.bassnw.com

Good luck.

5. Eddie J

Eddie J

Nov 25, 2004
    S.Korea, Asia
    Geez, thanks guys.
    I've been checking out www.ricpage.com since a few days ago.
    (The 4003 Ruby picture in the collectables is killing me every morning)
    I sent e-mail for price details 'n stuff but I'm not getting any answers.
    How about BIG sites like
    http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--RIC4003 ,
    they're giving out Ricks just WAY TOO cheap (than my expectations) - it gives me a weird feeling. But they have Jetglo in stock.
    The problem is, I don't think they provide pickup options and vintage case options. I might be able to buy them seperately, but if I get a new case what should I have to do with the old one? :^/

I really respect you guys - waiting months and years for a new guitar. I'll never be as patient as you two are.

6. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    That price is on par with any reputable shop that doesn't gouge it's customers. I have had no dealings with Same Day Music so I can't offer an opinion on them.
    I'm not that patient but what are my options?....if I want the 4004LK I have to wait until Ric pulls it's act together and makes it.....not much of a choice unfortunately :(

7. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    I, too, have a midnight Blue 4003 (great color). I agree with the previous posters. The Ricpage should have them and will probably ship it to you.

I'm going to give you a site to check out but be forewarned! This guy gets the living crap kicked out of him from time to time on this board:

www.worldclassguitars.com

All the dealers I had checked with in 2002 said it would take aprox 9 months to get a midnight blue. I went to Vegas on vacation, visited his shop, paid for the midnight blue and it was waiting at my door (actually a day or two later) when I returned home. I am neither endorsing Ed Roman nor am I condeming him. He did right by me - that's all I know.

Good luck to you in your hunt!! I love Rics and highly recommend them....

8. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Are you serious? What could be taking so long? Are these guys just sitting on their asses everday?

9. If i remember correctly the biggest issue was that their main carver for the detail of the bodies walked. And John Hall had problems trying to find a new one...
    Last i heard though they are finally slowly getting done.

And when you do get that bass incubus...if you find it isnt for you i would definitely be interested.

10. incubus2432

incubus2432

Mar 21, 2002
    Grafton, Ohio
    If I ever get it I can't imagine parting with it.....but thanks for the offer :smug: . After seeing what the few that have surfaced have sold for I wish that I ordered a couple of them. I'd like to say that I'm going to keep mine in pristine condition but I can't wait to have it be my main gigging Ric. :bassist:
    I am, however, looking to unload my '87 4003 SPC Tuxedo if anyone is interested.....

And it is correct that the original carver quit and it took them some time to find a replacement. Another issue was that it was on the back burner for some time due to problems with the 4004CII series. I call them about every 6 weeks just to be a PITA. It's a race between whether I get the LK or arthritis 1st :eek: .

11. Ebay or others on line. is it a new one you want. on line there are some 60s 70s 80s 90s do you want a 4001 4003 form the 70s 80s I have not played a 4003 the new ones a 80 4003 i did not tell any difference in the body the naw ones are lighter I have a 4001 76 and a 4080 and a 79 4001 I onet to get a 4001 like Chris Squier used the white cream one .I have never plad one of them I have been with ric from 1-16-77 a jetglow 4001 76 i saw the ric there was three of them I fell in love with the black one I was not Sure what color I saw geggy lee with the black one so i got it.the ric bass sound will live with you some time on music i would say he is useing a ric wean i hard tom sawar I said to my salf that is not a ric the sound ric has that low like no ather I shoped for a year to make sure the ric was the love of my life and she was.I my salf love the 70s -86 ric I am here to help the ric caveman here

12. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc

yah...sell that case! it will prolly go pretty quick

13. M5Yates

M5Yates

Feb 7, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Guys!
    This thread is almost 4 years old.
    Look at the post dates.
    :rollno:

14. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    At least I found it fairly interesting, but where are those nekkid zombie chicks?