Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

AT 3035 vs AT 4040

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Kael, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Audio Technica 3035 and 4040. Anyone ever a/b these two? I am looking at picking up a pair of LDC's for vox/drum overhead/acoustic guitar/whatever-else work. I know this is Talkbass not Talkmic, but I figured someone out there must have some experience with these two mics......

Thanks in advance.

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I would also say that the in general the 40's are a better mic than the 30's. Personally I like the 4060, but its a tube mic and its spendy. Being as you are looking to get a pair, it might be financialy wise to go with a pair of 3035's. But of course, you should try to test them before you buy them, what sounds good to your ear?

3. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Well I've heard the 3035 and thought it sounded decent for the price, but I've had a friend of mine who runs sound at a local TV station strongly suggest the 4040 over the 3035. He deals with mics day in day out, so I usually listen when he makes suggestions. The extra $200 bucks for the 4040's would be fairly negligible, but I am not looking at going much higher than $600 for the pair. I've spent more time with a 4033(?) and been moderately pleased with it as well, but they were a little more expensive and are now discontinued I believe.