Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Athletes Step Up....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Sep 2, 2005.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Too many times, we read reports about what is wrong with sports today. As a huge sports fan, I find myself defending my favorite sports to people who only pay attention when something bad happens. It felt good to hear the following reports today.....

Major League Baseball launches hurricane relief effort.
    SEC to Donate $1 Million to Hurricane Katrina Relief Efforts . This link is awesome as it gives info on what each SEC school is doing to help out.
    NBA and WNBA Players, Teams Aid Relief.
    NFL to donate $1 million to hurricane relief.
    Even you Favre haters have to admit this is a classy move on Brett's part: Packers' team plane brings supplies to South.
    I found another reason to be a Steve McNair fan: McNair offers help to hurricane victims in Mississippi.

So....if anyone is looking for opportunities to help out, check out a local sporting event this weekend. I am going to go the UW/Air Force game just for the reason of being able to donate some items. Heck, I'll probably hit a Storm game too.

-Mike

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Confound it, where is this Qintar in these dark times? We need his quick thinking and scrawny legs.

All joking aside, the teams and associations are doing a great thing here. Now, IMO, the NFL seems to have plenty more than $1M to donate, but that's neither here nor there. Every cent helps, dig?

3. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Yup..
    Every 100,000,000 cents helps even more :p

I think that, while many pro athletes aren't, there definetly are a good number that seem to be real classy guys, and not so self centered.

4. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

I agree, there are a few. Most not, but at least there are some. I also agree it's good the NFL is giving something, but 1M is pathetic. They're around a billion dollar organization and spend well over a million just in advertising. But, at least someone's getting some money. Too bad the NBA isn't going on now so McGrady, Kobe, and co. could donate 1000 or whatever it was for each point like they did last year.

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I see Warrick Dunn of the Falcons was calling on every NFL player to contribute at least $5k to the relief.

He's always been a stand-up guy, our loss was Atlanta's gain.

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Come on man, don't be a hater. $1,000,000 is alot of money no matter where it is coming from. The NFL could have just as easily organized a fan donation effort at all home games this weekend, and did that alone.

-Mike

7. Great thread!

It is rather unfair that pro athletes get judged as a group because of the more controversial actions of a select few. Just like any other group of people, there are pro athletes who are great people and pro athletes who certainly are not. Their salaries, however frivolous some of us might find them, don't change that.

Remember Roberto Clemente!

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA