Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

atm 35 with AI coda

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pierre, Mar 11, 2006.

1. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Have anyone experience with this combination.

I just bought my atm today and make some experience. Alone in the micro channel, first impression ............ whoaouh seems to sound great. Where to fix the mic there's no explanation for this ( I fix it on the tailpiece )? there's two position on the preamp ?.

Can you tell me
    Anybody try with mixing the atm with the realist on the AI Coda ?

2. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    I put the atm35 on the g-side adjuster wheel of my bridge. My tailpiece is too thick for the little clip to fit. I have also attached the clip to the g-side F-hole pointing the mic up toward the fingerboard. Did not comprendre your last question.

3. I think you might be confusing the "pre-amp" with what is actually the power module (unless you're referring to the AI, in which case please ignore…)

From the destructions:

"…The built-in 3-position switch on the power module allows selection of battery off, battery on/flat response, or battery on/low-roll-off. In the phantom power mode the battery is bypassed, while selection of flat response and low-roll-off is still available via the switch…"

- Wil

PS: I clip my ATM35 to the bridge-adjusting wheel on the G side (see pic)

4. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Positioning with this mic is trick as the gooseneck is short IMO the only short coming of the mic. I attach it to the tail piece after running a pull tie through the tail piece to give the clip something to clamp on to.

The power module is a three position switch which has already been mentioned. If you're using a code you can take advantage of phantom power when plugged into the mic channel, if the battery to the power module is run down or you don't have the battery and there's probably an adaptor to the small XLR to a standard size one, eliminating the power module all together.

5. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Wil Davis,

I think I'll try clipping my to the bridge wheel, it looks pretty slick.

6. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Thanks guys.
    " In the phantom power mode the battery is bypassed, while selection of flat response and low-roll-off is still available via the switch…"[/I]
    You're right that's it. It is the power module not the preamp. What's the "low-oll-off" i'm not sure to understand ; is it just cutting the low frequency ?

Is is possible to take this power module off, just with a XLR adaptator ? and to keep the phantom power. Any experience ?

I've unfortunatly no adjusting wheel, but your cliping on it seems perfect. Great picture . Thanks a lot.
    My F-hole is a little too small to clip the atm too.

7. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    On the AI Coda there's two channel : one XLR for the mic, and one for a cell, my realist. When there's too feedback of the drums (I've heard but never practice) we might mixing the two to adapt it for the situation.

8. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Pierre, I can't answer you question about the preamp, but Phil's idea about the tailpiece could apply to the mic as far as mounting goes: you could use a black nylon strap (here in the states, we get them at Radio Shack...don't know what the French equivalent would be) around the treble foot of the bridge and attach the mic clip onto that. On second thought, I bet a velcro strap would work just as well and be removable.

9. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Merci Chris for your advice. I'll try it.
    And i'll share my experience in other environment than alone my bedroom. The Coda might be a good amps with is two channel to blend the mic and the realist.

Merci encore à tous

10. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I didn't realize I could give feedback to this thread too. I'm testing out a Coda right now and I do have an ATM35 as well. I just haven't put the chocolate into the peanut butter yet (or is it the other way around?).

I've only run the Coda with my Revolution Solo. So far it's pretty boomy and unfocused in my studio and haven't found a great sound yet. I'll keep knob twisting til I do. Will try the ATM35 with and without the RS and give my feedback.

11. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    If you're fighting a boomy sound with a Coda, try turning the Bass control off or almost off and turning on the High Pass filter and cranking it up until the sound tightens and firms up. With my "Focus Contra" and my Eastman Hybrid with Fishman Full Circle PU, I generally have the Bass control turned almost off and the High Pass filter at between 10 o'clock and 1 o'clock. I also turn the Mid control down to about 9 o'clock as well. This produces a sound that cuts through a larger band without sounding too nasal. Let us know if this works for you.

12. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I tried turning the bass down, but then I just lose all the bottom and there's not enough oomph for my tastes. :( It may not be the amp, but the downfiring cab. I'll try messing with your suggestions on the HP filter. I'm going to try my Fishman pre with it to see if it gets any better.

13. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    I try my ATM 35 on my Coda directly in the XLR mic input; in a jazz trio situation. The sound was not so good even with the bass cut off and the mid at 7, and even with the high pass filter . The sound has not enought definition an was too fat , but no larsen. The mic near the Fhole or in the middle .
    I'll have to try another combination with the preamp on the instrument low iinput ???

14. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Hello
    I try blending the atm with my realist pick-up. That sound much better .On both inputthe bass control about 8 o'clock and the mid 9-10 : the sound was clearer and much less boomy. I put my fishman preamp on the realist and in the low Z input.
    It was with a jazz trio piano bass drums, in a large living room.

I feel better now

15. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    :hyper:
    I just have a nice concert in a small bar yesterday. The sound was very clean and quite loud (level lat 9-10)with the AMT directly in the mic input of my Coda AI without any preamp.
    I just put it on a table beside me the Eq bass at 10 and middle at 10 and the HP filter at 9.
    I'm very surprised beacause I 've bad experience with the same input in other place. I sure don't understand everything about amplification
    I hope I have found the solution for quiet gigs in trio situation.
    Just happy