ATTENTION: Current Rash Of Scam Ads- Please Read

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    A hacker managed to log into the accounts of a few people last night. We thought we got them all but one more appeared tonight, so
    more could potentially be out there. This scammer is requesting people send him PayPal friends and family or Zelle payments. Please be aware that sellers are not permitted to ask for PayPal friends and family payments under any circumstances, so do not send them, and please report any users who do this immediately.

2. Last Rebel

Last Rebel Lone Wolf - No Club Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Ontario Canada
    ..happens all the time on FB messenger too.

3. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    Never use “friends and family”…. They aint your friend OR your family (hopefully).

4. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    If There's a history of Talkbass members having offered Zelle or ...Friends and Family...payment in the past or present,
    I ask Talkbass Administrators and moderators to ban them for life!

5. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    why’s this remind me of a certain scene from Children of the Corn?

6. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    Do you know something that we, the supporting Members and Adm. Moderators don't KNOW about???

7. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I get not allowing PayPal F&F, but what's wrong with Zelle?

R&B, Gorn and BASSPLAYERS4HIM like this.
  8. Zelle is like Paypal F&F..Don't have protection at all. Once you send money with zelle and the seller won't ship you're screwed.

9. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    True, but the Talkbass rule forbidding Paypal F&F is because it circumvents paypal fees when paying for goods and services. As far as I know, theres no Talkbass rule forbidding other types of payments such as checks, money orders, Zelle, Venmo, Cash App, or a wheelbarrow full of pennies. I wouldn't pay for a big ticket item without some kind of protection, but I don't think it violates any Talkbass rule not to have it.

pfern, Billyzoom, R&B and 4 others like this.
  10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Why would TB care about PayPal fees? It’s about the lack of buyer protection.

pfern, Blackjac97, tommyr01 and 4 others like this.
  11. If there's no rule for Zelle I guess you can use it if you want. I think the OP just talking about the scammer who asking for payment through Zelle. I also wouldn't buy anything expensive without some kind of protection. If a seller is hesitant because of the pays but have something I really want, I usually offer to pay the extra fees to him as a friend.

12. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    It is a huge benefit having the purchase protection, but no, the primary reason the rule is there is to keep in line with PayPal policy. If you want to send F&F, it's on you, you are on your own without any protection. The rule forbids sellers from offering a discount or requiring a surcharge because of it, creating a multi-tiered pricing structure. Strictly forbidden, and rightly so. Don't like the fees, then don't offer to take Paypal as payment. That's the way I read the rules.

13. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    I've had a seller(not on TB) ask for a F&F payment. I ignored that, calculated what it would take for the seller to break even, and just added that much to a G&S payment. It was over $2K, so I wasn't taking any chances.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  14. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Straight from the TB Rules section:
    • Do not request a payment be sent through Paypal as a personal payment or gift. This leaves the buyer with no recourse should there be a problem - Paypal does not allow for contesting gift transactions. This is also against the Paypal usage agreement, and can result in action taken against both the buyer's and the seller's accounts.

tommyr01, Count Bassie and Relsom like this.
  15. Yea I always use G&S for purchases more than around 1.2-1.5K. I've made many cheaper purchases from Marketplace and Craigslist without protection and luckily I've never been screwed yet. But before proceeding with F&F or Zelle I always talked with the sellers on phone, checked FB profile etc. I can smell scam lol. But the only place I never use protection at all is brand specific Facebook groups if I briefly know the seller who has group activity and who's not a fresh account set up for scamming people.

Relsom and BASSPLAYERS4HIM like this.
  16. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Colorado
  17. mxr255

mxr255 Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2003
    Williamsport, PA
    Yes. This was NOT me. Thanks for the TalkBass crew for helping me change all of the settings in under an hour. The hacker already had a buyer lined up and was exchanging payment information. I think we stopped it just in time.

18. ThumbyAche

ThumbyAche Gold Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2005
    Colorado
    Glad to assist!

19. chechunka

chechunka Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2009
    I was one of the hacker victims as well. They had orchestrated (or tried to) orchestrate about 7-8 different deals under my profile. Thankfully it appears that everyone sniffed them out just in time.

20. SC Bassboy

SC Bassboy Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I only accept payment in beaver pelts. Truthfully it has caused a few sales to fall through here on Talkbass but it's worth the hassle to find the right buyer.

Marley's Ghost, pfern, R&B and 11 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.