ATTENTION: Current Rash Of Scam Ads- Please Read

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Aug 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    I have just one last question to end this riddle....

Would Talkbass allow you to use F&F or Zelle, when the buyer is someone you know??

2. Watch out for nutria pelts getting passed off as beaver pelts....
    Happens all the time.
    C9179E42-21CA-4711-BBCE-37839D38E5F7.jpeg
    :beaver:

3. JPMcGuire

JPMcGuire Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Lake Orion, Michigan
    Especially if it’s an in person, face to face transaction. Actually it’s a lot safer than carrying thousands of $$$$ cash around.

4. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It’s not allowed, but it’s not as if talkbass needs to authorize the sale or has access to the payment information. I’m not suggesting you break the rules though.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
  5. brstma

brstma my dog is an awesome dog Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2008
    Florida
    For the staff: over the years I have had quite a few sellers request friends and family payments to avoid fees. When I refused and explained it’s against the rules they have said they weren’t aware of the rule and have done it many times. Also when you do this the sender has to pay the fee on their end that the recipient is avoiding

These were not scam attempts but many sellers are Unaware or claim to be unaware of this TB rule.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    Bassist Jay likes this.
  6. RostyM

RostyM Supporting Member

May 1, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Not sure I am clear on whether or not Zelle is OK. I did ask and receive a payment via Zell from someone I did not know not too long ago. It was not a demand for the sale, just a request. I had no idea that might be in violation of TB policy. I understand the lack of protection thing, but from my end I fully intended to (and did) uphold my end of the deal. I shipped fully insured for the amount of sale and required a signature and receipt verification. It saved giving a third party some of the money for the deal. So, do I understand this this is not acceptable?

Bassist Jay and BASSPLAYERS4HIM like this.
  7. Robert Cecchini

Robert Cecchini Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2018
    Delaware
    The advantage to purchases with Pay Pal is that they hold the money until you receive the product and are satisfied! Under the F&F Pay Pal they get the money into their account with no delays!!!

Bassist Jay likes this.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

TB has no idea who is paying with what. The Paypal protection also isn't a necessity unless something changed. Most international sellers (outside the US) have zero issues with bank wires. I have done them with multiple members, even for high value basses. I have also sent payment to other members as friends and family to save them some fees. Note, I have never asked or been asked to send payment as F&F. We like to think our feedback here means something but newcomers to the classifieds need to know that it doesn't - there are risks here, no matter who you are dealing with. Plus, your awful experience/negative feedback will not stop other members from doing business with people.

Also, as somebody who has spent years in the classifieds, the bigger threat isn't getting nothing for your money - it is getting something that isn't what you paid for. You can find some real horror stories from the classifieds, including the "fallout" after the scam. At least you won't need to see posts from whoever stole your money if they send you nothing - they get banned.

Bassist Jay and BASSPLAYERS4HIM like this.
  9. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    For Talkbass transactions:

Would it make sense that before an item is shipped, that the seller sends a shipping label from UPS or FedEx to Talkbass Administrators, regardless what type of method payment is used for the transaction, this way; Talkbass may authorize the buyer that the item has been fully shipped and the buyer may release the funds either be Zelle or F&F ?

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Cool idea but that would involve a level of oversight TB doesn't have and I highly doubt they want to engage in. The TB classifieds have no real police force or teeth. Getting directly involved in transactions opens them up to a world of liability they are not interested in taking on. You'd be better off going to Reverb if you want that level of involvement (although it has been a few years since I sold over there and they have seen a LOT of changes since.)

11. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Heads up...

Paypal protections do not apply to face to face transactions anyway.

Also, these protections do not cover transactions when there are multiple payments. If your transaction consists of a partial payment as a "deposit" with the balance then paid on a later date... you may not be protected.

Bassist Jay likes this.
  12. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef is modulating in time. Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    With a friends & family payment, there aren’t any fees for the sender if they use their bank account or paypal balance. The sender only pays fees on F&F payment if they use a credit card (and the receiver doesn’t pay fees either way).

Paypal does holds with new sellers/new accounts, but not normally for longstanding accounts. I haven’t had them place a hold on a payment I’ve received for close to 20 years. It’s always available instantly.

Bob Clayton, bdgotoh and Double E like this.
  13. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    Paypal doesn't hold the funds on High value items....
    I didn't know that....!

Bassist Jay and The Bass Clef like this.
  14. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    Fort Wayne Indiana
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses ( Now Closed) sales @ Sweetwater
    I had it happen on my last transaction here on TB, when I asked why PayPal kept saying the same nonsense, I’ve been on PayPal longer than I’ve been on talkbass.

here is a crazy idea, they seller can sell to whomever and whatever method they want and the buyer can decide if they want to or not. capitalism… crazy

15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    On TalkBass you cannot offer different price points for different payment methods (unless we're talking cash in person).

I cannot offer to sell something to Buyer A for $1,000 if they pay PayPal F/F, but $1,050 to Buyer B if they want to use PayPal G/S.

This is a longstanding rule that has been here since before you were here.

16. Mshraderbass

Mshraderbass

Aug 21, 2021
    Bama
    Got it and thanks, I’m pretty new here, glad to know you guys are looking out for us

Bassist Jay likes this.
  17. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    If a members account got hacked or does get hacked, do you email them and let them know I assume? I would hate to see a legitimate forum member get banned because they got hacked and some a**hole that hacked them, in turn, also then caused them to get banned as well.

How are forum members notified if they got hacked, or do get hacked in the future?

And thank you for making this thread so members can be aware of what has happened.

18. Soooo what type of payment method do I use and how do I send it??

19. Mshraderbass

Mshraderbass

Aug 21, 2021
    Bama
    I think at this point we should be looking for red flags like someone is selling an item like a bass or amp head for a ridiculously low price,let’s say his post says quick sale.Or once you agree on a price,the guy starts asking if you have cashapp or Venmo and he’d lower the price if you use that method instead of PayPal.

Bassist Jay and Robert Cecchini like this.
  20. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    That is ultimately between you and the seller. Most of us use Paypal or some other transfer service.

Robert Cecchini likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.