Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audio Tech ATH M40fs phones

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by thwackless, Aug 2, 2004.

1. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Anyone have a word about these headphones? I'm shopping for some reasonable phones for my recording thing (computer-PC). I'd prefer circumaural, I think. Using a Tascam US-428 with Cool Edit Pro 2, and have a pair of Fostex PM0.5's for monitoring. Also a Studiomaster mixer for routing, going to a tape deck and a room monitor for band recording. It's kind of a budget trip, but I'm beginning to get some good mixes of our old 4-track cassette sessions out of it.

I'm doing a lot of Rock-ish/Reggae-influenced stuff, and some spoken word w/ organic (read: played with real 'hands') rhythm section loops, etc. Some acoustic things...

Looking for the late-night set-up- phones are gonna have to be part of the picture...

Thanks for your time,

Stewbone.

2. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I like the M40fs. Have not used them in a while, thats all they had at one of the studios I worked at so I got pretty familiar with them. They are definately a solid set of cans. You may also look into the Sony MDR 7506's I use those on almost every gig I do. About the same price I think.

3. thwackless

thwackless

Nov 24, 2003
    Smithfield, RI
    Thanks for the word, Droog. I'm likely to go with the AT's in that case, since they sell 'em at the store I'm connected with (I teach bass lessons twice a week, and I get a little disount). If it's handy, I'll look into the Sony's though.

Thanks again,

Stewbone.