Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Audition Material - YIKES!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BassmanA440, Apr 4, 2005.

1. BassmanA440

BassmanA440

Feb 3, 2005
    Dallas
    After being self-taught for 16 years, I finally have a chance to go back to school for free. The only thing is that I have to audition before I can start. The audition is tomorrow (he only does it on Tuesdays). I have no Idea of what is appropriate for jazz bass; I was a tuba major before. I know once I get in the rhythm section I can roll with it. I read, play by ear the whole nine yards. (Ha, nervous babbling) I guess it’s like when you run up to a comedian and yell say something funny.

I'm trying to find out what other folks have played for an audition or jury or whatever.
    :confused: :confused:

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    For most music schools you want three audition peice: one should be some kind of Jazz standard, so your playing over a well know set of changes can be evaluated. The next should be something a bit more unique that shows off your own personal tastes and style, either an original composition or your own take on a tune you really like. The final peice should be something that lets you show off your technique and stretch a little bit. This is where you want to break out the tapping, shredding and whatever other tricks you've got. You usually see this type of audition at more selective schools or on tapes where they can't evaluate you face to face.

The other type of audition that you see in a lot of "degree farm" type music school is the "assembly line" audition. Basically they hand you a couple charts and have you sight read them to either a metronome or drummer.

When I made my audition tape for Berklee a few years ago I did Girl From Ipanema, a Bach Cello prelude and the last half of Anesthesia. I got in, though I suspect that had more to do with the fact that only 4 bassists applied that semester than any amazing playing on my part.