1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Auralex GrammaV2 to attenuate low frequencies?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Father Time, Jan 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. OK, I'm a drummer.....(but I do play bass as well). I'm searching for a solution that will attenuate my bass players low frequencies (for live small club use) on a wood stage. I'd like to know if anyone has used the Auralex Gramma V2, and found it to focus the bass sound and alleviate the "mud", and extremely low end frequencies that tend to build up on a wood stage. Problem is, we both setup in a corner, and that's the worst place because the low end and standing waves accumulate and it's killing me. No alternative setup is available, and we play pretty loud. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    I use one and it does help, especially on hollow stages.

3. Thanks andawun. I'm hopeful it helps. I'm one of the unlucky few that suffers from sensitivity to low frequencies. this may help with that. I'm also going to be wearing isolation headphones. I'll report back after next weekend.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  4. Just wanted to update this post just in case anyone is looking for a way to deal with too much low end from your bass cab on stage. I bought the Auralex Gramma V2 and my bass player used it to put his cabinets on last night. Neither he nor myself noticed any difference using the Auralex pad from the cabinets sitting directly on the stage. So that's going back. (I also bought a pair of Iso headphones that are supposed to cut all frequencies by 29DB. those didn't work either).
    I'm just having to set up in an area that reinforces low frequencies, and it's killing me. Unfortunately it isn't going to change.
    Thanks again for your comment andawun.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If the bass amp is behind you, move it out front, and get a small monitor.
    If it's too loud now it could be loud enough to harm your hearing. It's not worth it. Fix the situation.

6. Thanks for the reply seamonkey. Unfortunately, at this club I have to setup next to the bass cab and there isn't anywhere else for the bass player to put his cabinet. He's really been accommodating, and willing to try different things, but there's really nowhere for him to move. I realized after playing Friday and Saturday night that I'm just ageing out of the loud rock thing. Time for me to move on and try to find something else to do that's more enjoyable, and less painful. I've been playing for 30+ years and in the beginning I played without hearing protection, but when the volume kept going up and up I started wearing plugs. I have serious Tinnitus, and that's from all those years of loud music, cymbals, and Marshall and Vox amps next to my head! So yeah, my hearing has already been harmed. I tell all my students to wear hearing protection, and save their ears. But nothing can protect you from low frequencies unfortunately.

seamonkey likes this.
  7. andawun

andawun

Jul 13, 2009
    Sorry to hear the Gramma Pad did not work out.

8. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Vibration isolation is only useful when reinforcement is occurring via coupling to the stage. Many stages do not have this problem. That's ok. Just means your bass player needs to adjust/EQ the rig. Another very useful gadget is something like the @fdeck HPF, which is specifically designed to attenuate lows.

ddnidd1 and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  9. bucephylus, is this the HPF pre I'm just reading about? Is this something you designed and are selling? Haven't read enough yet, but I'm intrigued!

10. Fdeck is a contributing TB member. He sells his HPF on the side. The HPF3 has an adjusting knee filter plus fixed filter below, running tandem.

bucephylus likes this.
  11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Our Kiwi @Downunderwonder is correct. Contact @fdeck. That's his schtick. Works great.

12. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Dec 25, 1999
    The gramma wont help with corner problems.

13. Still doing some forum reading on the HPF series 3 and earlier models. May be something to try. Nothing else left.....
    Thanks Luckydog, I found that out over the weekend, but kinda already knew that was the case. I was just hoping something would work.

14. Thanks bucephylus, Downunderwonder, and Luckydog. I'm reading some of the forum posts about the HPF now. Looks like the HPF pre series 3 may be worth getting.

15. Ulf_Hansson

Ulf_Hansson

Apr 15, 2014
    OK, I'm probably stupid, but what about the obvious solution: keep the volume down?

s0c9 and bucephylus like this.
  16. Not stupid at all, and yes Ulf_Hansson, I've tried to talk to the band many times regarding the stage volume, and we always seem to begin the night at a reasonable volume, then by the second set things start getting out of hand. That's just the way it is. I made the decision to quit working at that club with the band. I had a great talk with the leader, and lead singer, and they totally understand. They offered to have me play the other gigs and casuals, and they have another drummer lined up for the gig I don't want to do. so it all worked out. I'm ageing out of the rock club scene anyway, and want to find a nice acoustic situation in whatever genre, if there is such a thing, and try to enjoy the rest of my plying days!
    Thanks for all the comments people, I really appreciate it. Great community here!

bucephylus likes this.
  17. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I loved mine so much, I mad a few of my own. My 2-15 got wobbly on the Gramma 1, so I got some 1/2 plywood 18x24" some indoor/outdoor rubberback carpet, and I got some yoga blocks for the feet. I cut them in 3rds so they are 3x3x6" I use it ALL the time. Consistent tone always. NO hollow stage bloom- Even on concrete where it matters least.

18. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

19. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    Your bass player's cab isn't rear ported by any chance? Had this with our drummer. The same sound out front to me but to him just a really bassy mess. I changed to a non ported cab and everything is fine again. It's not to supposed to make any difference where the ports are placed but it certainly does id you're a drummer.

20. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

That's what I am worried about. I am going from a Berg NV215 (Sealed) to a 2 x Bag End 1-15 with rear ports.......