1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Auto Linking?

Discussion in 'Forum Usage Help' started by Jeff Bonny, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I notice in a post I just put up that after mentioning the band Radiohead that reference is linked to Radiohead at Amazon.com. It looks like I included that link in my post which I most certainly did not. What gives?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    check your computer for malware, I am not seeing that

3. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    No apparent malware on my machine.
    When I'm logged into Talkbass I don't see the links.
    When logged out I'm seeing in my above post links on both Radiohead and Amazon.com and a hover message saying "Shopping Link Added by SkimWords".
    http://support.skimlinks.com/entries/21115256-SkimWords
    I don't think the issue is at my end.

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, that was a rather important piece of information to leave out :)

yes, when not logged in you will see these links. enormous amount of tb hits are from unlogged in users from google searches, and that is bandwidth / server usage.

5. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I grasp that you need to pay for that bandwidth but I don't want anything I write to be used as anything other than my personal statement. I'm sure within the terms of the user agreement you are legally entitled to do this but morally it is wrong to have done it on the sly. Whether or not you'll admit that openly here and now in your heart you know it to be true.

To have my thoughts riddled with hucksterism after I set them down is a game changer. Talkbass is now only a $25 yearly subscription to sell gear and those are the only posts I will write or view logged in or not. No more hits, no more link fodder, no membership renewal. It's real simple: You've used content created by me in a way I did not intend and I will not play under those rules. I suspect if the whole Talkbass membership were aware you had made this choice there would be others feeling like I do. Why don't you let them know?

I have also told Amaz on I don't choose to do any further business with them because of their choice to pollute with their advertizing written content created by me.

I hope this decision you folks have made furthers your vision of what a discussion forum will be.

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  7. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Jeff,

Here's a link to the product page of SkimWords if you'd like to read more: http://skimlinks.com/skimwords

We're using the least-obtrusive version of SkimWords, which as you noticed will add about 3-4 links to products/businesses to previously unlinked content on the page, shown to unregistered (search engine) traffic only. I say least obtrusive because there are no popups, flyovers, and all TB members whether free or supporting, have no links added to their page. TalkBass gets a small cut of any purchases made if a user chooses to buy from a link to Amazon etc.

If you can't stand having random search engine traffic see a link under a product that you mentioned, I'm sorry. One way to circumvent, I suppose, would be to purposefully misspell all references to products or bands so they aren't picked up by SkimWords.