1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Auto wah pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tahbass, Apr 9, 2009.

1. tahbass

tahbass

Apr 9, 2009
    Park City, UT
    Building a pedalboard and I want to include an auto-wah pedal. My first choice was the Guyatone BR-2 (because of Chancellor), but I am finding out the hard way they are impossible to find. A) Does anyone have a BR-2 for sale, or B) Anyone recommend an alternative?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    The BR-2 is a fairly different sounding pedal. I'm guessing there are a few other filters that could be set somewhat similar but I couldn't tell you for sure as it's not something I've tried to do. By accident I did get a similar sound out of the Chunk 00Funk the other day, but it wasn't exactly the same.

The thing with the Guyatone (and the reason it got discontinued) is that it really isn't a very "funky" pedal. But it does have a very distinctive "throaty" or "burpy" filter sound and of course can give very aggressive sounds when paired with dirt as Justin Chancellor does.

If that's the sound you want, you'll likely just have to overpay for a used BR-2.

3. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    the non hi-q "up" mode on the EBS Bassiq will get you in the ballpark of the BR-2

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    True. Though I never experimented with the EBS and dirt to say if it can really do that "roaring" Tool sound since I personally don't have any use for that kind of tone.

5. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    I like the qtron

6. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
  7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    I never cared for tool but maybe I can throw a clip together

8. tahbass

tahbass

Apr 9, 2009
    Park City, UT
    which of the alternates suggested can best replicate the sound of the br-2?

9. Kooldac

Kooldac

Oct 20, 2008
    Arizona
  10. I use a Line 6 Otto Filter. But I use it for more synthy type sounds rather than an auto-wah. I'd recommend the 3 leaf audio groove regulator. That's next on my list!