1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Avalon 737sp or Focusrite ISA 220?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Dustinvavak, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    discuss

2. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    No experience with the Focusrite, but the 737sp was quite possibly the best sounding pre and comp I've ever heard. As good as a Neve pre and an LA-2A. I don't know what more you could want.

3. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    no one else has any experience with both of these, I find it hard to believe fella's....... please enlighten me.

4. Dustinvavak

Dustinvavak

Jan 17, 2006
    Kansas City
    or don't

5. Avalon all the way. It's one of the new standards in single channel opto-compressor preamp for the studio. At 2k it's not cheap but it's a quality piece. Especially good with the ubiquitious Neuman U87.

6. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
  7. Denyle Guitars

Denyle Guitars

Nov 30, 2005
    MD
    I'd choose the Mellennia SST over both although you can't go wrong with any. You're talking about a tube v. transistor pre and opto v. fet compressor so it'll be tough to make any direct comparison. The Focusrite's comp might work for more sources. Being a bass player though, you'd probably prefer the opto comp.