Avalon U5!!!!!

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by caesarbass, Jun 30, 2005.

1. My Avalon U5 has been in my live rig for about four months now and it is the best pre/DI that I've ever used live. Tonight it made it's way into my "recording studio" (spare bedroom with computer/DAW) and it sounds soooo good, I think it's staying indoors for a while. I highly recommend the U5 for live or studio, it's super versitile. I think I'm going to get the Fender TBP-1 for my live rig.
    :hyper: :hyper:
  2. So I'm posting in my own thread...I'm really missing my U5 in my live rig. Has anyone out there tried the Studio Projects VTB-1 mic pre/DI?? I want something I can use in my studio so I can get my U5 back in my live rig, and also something fairly inexpensive.
  3. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I use a U5 in my live rig too... :bassist:

...why not a second U5? :smug:

They pop up all the time here and on places like eBay.
  4. I thought about that too, but I think it might be nice to have something a bit different, but then again the U5 sounds sooooo good.
  5. bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    The thought of having an optional "front end" has crossed my mind at various times... the only other items that even peaked my curiosity, preamp-wise... were the Alembic F-1X and the Phil Jones single space preamp.

Otherwise, I'll just stick with my U5.

Like you said, soooooo good! :D
  6. Big-Bajo: I was borrowing a friends Alembic F2-B for a while, I really loved it, it had a great tone. The more I'm recording with the U5, the more I'm thinking it's going to stay in the "studio" (spare room). I also want to check out the Fender TBP-1. I've heard it and it sounds really good too. Real similar to the Alembics, bassman tone controls (bass and treble boost, mid cut), with a couple of really cool features. Jensen transformer, mid boost. That Phil Jones pre looks pretty smokin' too. Have you tried the Tech 21 RBI? I'm kind of curious about that one also.
  7. myrockinbass

Jun 10, 2005
    I recently used the U5 in the studio as well... my bass NEVER sounded that good, the growl was unbelievable! Good for live situations as well? Is it that good as a pre amp?