Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Avalon

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Yvon, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    A friend of mine want to buy a good preamp/compressor unit.

He is thinking about Avalon. I know they are great, but would he be better if he goes with Joe Meek or TL audio?
    Or Avalon really the best?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Avalon is great, but I don't know about its roadworthyness. I'll be playing through my U5 at our gig tonight.

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    It's for his home studio, so roadworthyness is not really a problem.

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Avalon is the best. Very pricey, but worth every penny, especially if you like to hang around studios (home studios or otherwise). I like the vt737sp, I think it has the same preamp as the U5, but it also has the EQ and the compressor. Last I saw on eBay they were fetching in the 1700 dollar range (US) used.

5. Go with the avalon then.

[​IMG]
    Treena

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Then go with the Avalon, definitely.

7. I would say that they're really good, but i don't know if theyre "the best". It's mostly matter of taste u know. I think u or your friend shud check it out and try A/B it with other gear.

Joemeek have their own distinct sound which fits really well with certain people or certain types of music, TLAudio is quite alrite as well, of course they're both the lower price range compared to Avalon.

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I talked to my friend yesterday and he decided that he will go with 2 compressor, one will be this Manley and the other one will be this Avalon.

I think he will have pretty good set up!! :bassist:

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Nice. Good choices!

11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    oh yes!
    I wouldn't be able to afford that!
    But he work a lot, he give lesson at home, he teach about 45 student at 20$ each. He still live with his parents (even though he is almost 30, don't ask!) :D
    The cost of the 2 unit with a sound card (I don't remember wich one) it will be 12 500$ in canadian money.