Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wattoosi, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Curious as to the difference in sound. I must be more that just power handling / loudness? I play mostly in a worship environment but more straight on rock, and I think we end of with a "country rock" groove a lot of the time. I don't totally need the output of a 410, except in those situation where I'm in a larger room, with a drummer.

I don't alway play with a drummer, so in those situations if it's too much I would like to lower the levels or I could just use a 112 cab but I am more looking for a "do it all" cab.

So, Neo vs Kappa, does the Kappa have all out lower bottom end, like rattle stuff, etc? What is the advantage (if any) of hauling around the extra weight?

2. ricosuave2093

ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Oregon
    I don't know the differences in sound but I love my Kappa!(But my back hates it!) If you were'nt going to move it much I would get the Kappa it's compared to the Ampeg 410HLF I've run my amp full volume into into around 850watts and yah it will shake the dust off the rafters. I also use it in low volume setting like 30 people it does good. I think they have a 15 day trial period on there cabs just call and ask dave what he thinks he's a good guy to deal with and talk to. Good luck man!

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    Kappa is great, might need a little more power to drive than the Neo.

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Eminence 2510 Neo has far better specs for bass than the Kappa Pro 10. All things being equal you can expect about 3dB more sensitivity at 100 Hz from the 2510. At less than half the weight it's a win-win for the Deltalite. But the 2512 is a dog. Stay away from that one.

5. Ah, I wondered if the Neo has more efficiency. I still am looking for more hard hitting punch out of the cab than simple loudness. I am also looking to buy a head and have been thinking of Dave's deal on the Ashdowns -- in any case one of the "warmer" sounding heads, like crack the foundation rather than shatter the window glass.

6. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 Once again the speaker/cab guru chimes in with good stuff. :)

Ironically, I've had a chance to essentially A/B a 210 Kappa Pro and NEO (Deltalite). NEO all the way... even if they didn't have the fantastic weight benefits.

Long story short, the Kappa's failed and since the NEOs were priced the same, I had a choice. I chose for weight, but much to my joy, they also sounded better to my ears.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    What were the main differences between the two, if you don't mind me asking??

8. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Well, comparing the charts (below, note the scale diffs!), like Bill says, the NEO's are more sensitive and have a different curve to them. However, in more human terms, to my ears, they sounded snappier, crisper, and more well defined.

Don't know if these charts really help much, but if you go to eminence.com, there's more details.

NEO:
    [​IMG]

Kappa Pro:
    [​IMG]

9. Don't the Kappa's and Deltalite's have different cabinet size (volume) requirements? Both of those Avatar cabinets are the same size aren't they?

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    The Eminence charts don't tell half the story, as those are plain baffle results. Run a sim for both drivers in WinISD Alpha (the specs for both are there) in a cabinet as they would be actually used and the difference is much more obvious. The Kappa Pro 10 is a fine driver, but one best employed as a midrange driver in a multiway system; below 200 Hz it's not very good. Even a Beta 10 beats it handily. The 2510 is far superior as a standalone fullrange driver.

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    That's what I was wondering, Vic.

Thanks. :)

12. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Yeah, I prolly shouldn't have posted the charts... they may have been more confusing/misleading than helpful.

This is exactly what my ears told me, as well. I really noticed the difference.

13. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Bill is the master on this one, but I THINK the answer is it depends on what you're after. I don't think a given speaker has volume requirements... I think the volume requirements are dictated by the design goals... what you want a given speaker/cabinet to sound like.

In the case of the Avatars, yeah, they have the same dimensions. However, while I don't think the Kappa's are bad, the Deltalites (2510) speakers are, IMHO, way better. It just happens to be a huge benefit to me that they're also much lighter.

14. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Aren't Avatar's NEO's specially designed for them so they aren't the ones you can get from eminence?