Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shoot-r, Jul 7, 2008.

1. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I've asked this before....now once again.
    Almost every amp/cab manufacturer is now offering a 610. Fender and Schroeder just released theirs.
    Problem is, "EVERYONE's" 610 starts out at a $1000.00 and up!
    Avatar could probably come in at half or even less than everyone else's starting price.
    A 610 almost every bassist could afford.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    email avatar

3. There's been threads on it before, and if my memory serves correctly, it was stated that there were no plans to make a 610 that was;

-as affordable as the rest of the cabinets
    -economical to ship

Regardless, I'd rather have a 410 and 210...just easier to move around.

4. Robroy

Robroy Guest

Jun 21, 2006
    +1
    I would like to have a 410, 210 and 212. Mix 'n match...

BTW, I literally just got off the phone with Dave regarding a couple of neo 12's to replace the ones I fried Fiday. Man, what a nice guy.

FWIW, It was CLEARLY my fault they fried. 1200 watts outdoors with no PA help! And the client wanted it louder! I was asking for it...

5. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Santucci, Thanks for the reply. I don't think e-mail is the answer.
    People chiming in here and showing Dave there's a market for a less expensive 610.
    That's what gets a manufactures attention.
    Lobey and Robroy, I understand what your sayin', but some of us weridos like the sound of a 610 or 810 all in one cab.
    The latest trend shows there's a market for 610's or else Eden, Genz-Benz, Ampeg, Warwick, Fender, Schroeder, Berg, Epi, ect., wouldn't be offering them.

6. That'd be a sweet set to have (410, 210, 212) to mix and match. I can say that the 410 + 212 sounds awesome. I did read somewhere here on TB that someone bought a 112 and made the necessary changes to make it a 115. I've been looking for it for what seems like forever, but to no avail. Supposedly, there's an Eminence driver (15) that will sound fine in the 112 box if you make the necessary fit changes. I know it would be easier to just buy an older 115, but they're far and few in between. Plus, I'd want it covered in blonde tolex to match my 410.

7. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    My guess is that Avatar would have to be able to use that 610 box size for at least two product offerings to be able to have it sourced economically. They would have to offer something else too - maybe a 412 - to make it work, and there might not be enough demand for those products for them to make it work.

8. A 412 would be crazy. If they (Avatar) started doing that, we'd all want an 810, which would be stupid expensive to ship.

9. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Wjgeer, It'd be the right size for a 215 cab also. 2-15 cabs seems to be a speaker set-up that's had a resurregence lately also.
    Lobey, I've got a Avatar 115H cab with a 4 ohm Kappa Pro 15" speaker. Use it at rehearsals and small gigs. It sounds VERY good.

10. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    i asked Dave, and heavily pushed the idea. He told me that he "had no plans to, nor ability to since the cabinets are made by a mass cabinet maker, and its impossible to get a custom from them. and under the circumstances of mass production of a 610, they would be hard and expensive to ship."

I think thats the give and take of the business,

honestly.

EDIT: email from dave:

"HI we don't make the cabs here...we have a cab maker make our cabs...and they only make large amounts of the same thing at the same time...they won't do single custom cabs...sorry just the way they are in the website
    Thanks,
    Dave
    (208) 762-5251"

11. PatrickEdmonds

PatrickEdmonds

Jan 3, 2006
    so what other companies buy cabs from this mass production cab maker?

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You think Dave pay's more attention to TB than his email and phone ? Probably not and probably not a great business plan if he did IMO ...

Another way of looking at this is with 8 (your count) companies already providing a 610 and with a relatively smaller market for 610's than there is 2x10's, 4x10's and 2x12's ...

you weirdo's wanting cheap 6x10's as opposed to stacking cheap 2x10's, 4x10's and 2x12's represent a relatively small and already crowded economic opportunity ...

13. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    theres deff been a few thread on this. i emailed dave a while ago and he said it would e too expensive to ship. period.

14. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    Thanks for all the replys.
    4Mal, Any manufacturer that doesn't pay attention to their customers, no matter what the informational source, probably won't be a major player in what ever the business is for long. In my business there is C-lt firearms, they sat on their past achievements and wouldn't listen to what the market was asking for. Co-t used to be IMO "the" major firearms manufacturer....now their not more than a very small share of the market.
    I think you'd be suprised how many amp manufactures monitor Talk Bass just to get the pulse of what's going on. That's why I monitor the firearms forums. (Cheap market research.)
    As to eight "plus" companys already making 610's in a crowded market....as I stated these companys 610's all start at $1000.00 and up....there's no one filling the inexpensive end.
    As to shipping....with neo speakers....we're only talking a few more lbs. and a few more inches in height over a 410. So were probably only talking a few dollars more. The shipping price is passed to the customer if it's a 410 or 610.
    Bottom line, I'm not trying to start problems, I'm just stating that with all the other companys willing to make a 610's.... there's a market....it'd be a shame for some company not to fill the void on the inexpensive end. IMO, Avatar is the company that could fill that void.

15. Understandable about liking the sound of a 610 over a 410/210 setup. Different stroke for different folks I guess. I'm getting to the point of not wanting to schlep around a huge cab anymore. I did it once for a few months and it about killed me.

16. Doesn't Warwick sell a 610 for $800?

17. tmw

tmw Gold Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2006
    Delmar, NY
    Mine should be here Wednesday...can't wait:hyper:

I also looked into LDS, theirs with Neos was $700.00. So there are sub $1000 610 cabs available.

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Sage advice I'm sure ... but you have to be able to build it, sell it, ship it - at a price that your customer will pay and to enough of those customers to recoup your ramp up / development costs to justify the investment. It's pretty simple - identifying the broad based need is the tough part. Clearly the guys at Avatar are smart enough to have done that and have come to the conclusion that what you're asking for and will purchase is a $600 cabinet that will cost them $601 to deliver...

My contention is that it is as much the limited market for 610's and tranmsport costs as anything ... You can only pass shipping costs along IF your customer is willing to incur them...

19. scuz

scuz You can't be angry ALL the time!

Mar 24, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    I hope they bring back a 15" cab before they go to a 6x10.

20. Pandafist

Pandafist

May 6, 2008
    Portland, OR
    I see Ampeg 610s on craigslist ALL THE TIME here in Portland, OR for very reasonable prices. There is one up at this very moment for $450. But Portland is kind of an anomaly in that it is bogged down with musicians, so this may not be useful to those of you unfortunate enough not to live here. :bag:

IMO, 610s are kind of a silly cab choice. They sound GREAT, but...
    why not just go for the 810 if you can't pick it up by yourself anyway?

Or a 410 and another cab like a 112, 212 or 115? I don't know. 610 just seems like a weird size to me. I'm not sure enough people would buy them for it to be profitable. Just a thought.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021