1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kgoism, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Epifani

29.2%
  2. Avatar

36.0%
  3. Neither

34.8%
  1. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    So the specs are very similar, but the price is over 2x higher for the epifani. Any clue why?

I was also wondering which ones people liked more, and what kind of sounds they had.

And frequency response was not listed on the Avatar website. Any idea how low it goes? it's 40Hz for the epifani, which is reasonable for a low B.

Also, could you specify why you chose your choice below?

2. Do you like SX or Sadowsky?
    They look pretty similar but the Sadowsky is about 10x the price.

Basically the same question.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I'm thinking the general response to this is going to be apples to oranges when you A/B these two companies. If I had to guess, based on my limited Epi knowledge, they target two different audiences all together.

4. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    So what kind of music would each be better for?

5. I voted Avatar

6. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    I'm not even sure it's a boundry of type of music, as much as type of tone. I always thought (could be very wrong here though) that Epi's are geared more for the ultra hi-fi tone. Not saying the Avatars can't do that, but they're more geared towards affordability and generally just a decent cab.
    Having said all of that, I could be very wrong about both cabs. I have never owned either, so I can't bring in personal experience!

7. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    can either of em play metal?

8. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Most certainly. I'd think for that application though, you'd be better suited with Avatar. Cheaper, and metal doesn't generally require any kind of hi-fi tone.

9. drpocket

drpocket Guest

I own 3 Avatars and have gigged with them for years. I really do like them. I have played every genre using them with no complaints. Not even the jazz-fusion group had anything bad to say about the Avatars..

I own 2 delta 2x10's and 1 Kappa 2x10 (not neo's). By contrast I bought a 2x10 Epi neo about 3 years ago and I was astonished that it did not even compare with Avatar. Even the keyboard player at the time remarked that it was just "floppy" sounding. Back it went to Bass Northwest.

Anyway I am going to try a Avatar 1x12 neo to companion with the Kappa. I guess we will see.

I will vote for Avatar.

10. I've never had the opportunity to *really* try both, so it'd be tough for me to say. My guess is you'll have quite a few "headstock whores" slobbering all over Epifani, however.

Beyond that, and beyond people who don't vote solely with their eyes, tone is subjective.

11. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    Very true. So is it basically just a tonal difference? How about quality?

12. timex vs rolex, ford vs benz, fender vs sx they all do the same thing. You can buy a nice well made suite at a boutique mens shop or you can buy a suit at Pennys. I have a Epi UL310 and it has a beautiful bass tone. I've never owned or played a Avatar product but, I'd be willing to bet I could get my sound with one. I'm eye balling one on ebayright now. I'm thinking a 112 one of these days.

13. kgoism

kgoism

Mar 26, 2008
    Kennett Square, PA
    a few others have brought up that analogy, but if the analogy is true, wouldn't epifani be much better than avatar?

14. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    I feel a bit out of touch here, but what exactly is a 'headstock whore'? If I look in the mirror will I see one? :meh::)

M. M.

15. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    Yes. Epifani cabs are much better than Avatar. That's why the're more expensive.

16. Those that judge a piece of gear solely on it's logo, without really listening to it. SX/Fender is a perfect example. SO many on here crap all over SX stuff, but when blind clips of a vintage Fender Jazz are posted compared to a new SX Jazz, many people pick the SX as having the better tone (JonathonD posted the poll, I believe). Such headstock whoring is not limited solely to basses, it branches out to amps, cabs, effects, etc.

17. ...And there's a perfect example! "Epifani must be better, they are more expensive!" :rolleyes:

18. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Thanks for the explanation. Your point is certainly valid. Now I'm afraid to look in the mirror. :oops:;):D

M. M.

19. lol! Naw... If you honestly and openly bought your gear because you love it for what it is (not what name is stamped on it), then you're cool. It's the people that go hi-end solely cause it's hi end that annoy me.

Case in point: I have a custom Conklin 5-string. I also have a Korean-made Conklin Groove Tools 5-string. The custom plays, looks and feels amazing. In that regard it's the perfect bass. The Groove Tools sounds better (to me). I admit it, and have no problem at all admitting it.

20. we talking the 4 x 10 cab or the 2 x 12 cab?

Don't quote me but being an Eminence freak, I think the 10 inch Neo Driver used by Avatar has a Frequency response of around 44Hz to 4,000Hz with a sensitivty of 93db

and the 12" driver comes in at 49Hz to 4,500Hz sensitivity of 97db

give or take....if your major curious i suggest you e-mail them

and for my vote i would go with the Avatar...for the price you get basically the same overall power rating overall all smae basic materials used for construction and unless your a computer.... i seriously doubt your ear or the people listening to you are going to hear that much of a difference especially in a live band setting......and i would use the extra cheddar i saved to buy some other goodies....but I'm a thrifty that way....lol

Epifani cabs bring to mind stuffed shirts and caviar but then again I'm a Biker from Texas what do i know....lol