Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Azola Bugbass stand

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Rodent, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    For a long time I've had the need for a stand for my Bugbass. Specifically, I wanted a stand that firmly held the bass in an "adjust it at set-up and leave it" playing position so that I could access it within a song and A/B between electric bass (my primary) and the Azola for arco/pizz intros/outros. I've seen the stand offered by Azola (which will definitely work), but it wasn't exactly what I needed.

After numerous trips back/forth to the local GC, I finally put together a bullet proof stand that exactly meets what I need.

[​IMG]

This was put together from a used heavy duty boom stand I got for $40, and a Pearl percussion extension that was $25. I removed the boom section from the stand and clamped on the extension and it was ready for adjustments. I had it all ready to play within about 10 minutes. Here's a close-up:

[​IMG]

If anyone else has created a similar contraption for you EUB, I'd be interested to learn of your efforts.

All the best,

R

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Looks cool! And no mods to the bass...good job.

3. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    My Bugbass stand is similar to the Azola...I bought a Hamilton bass stand, cut off the arms at a point where they just cradled the Bugbass, put on sturdier knobs, and added an angled extension to the endpin cup. It's been great for several years.

Unlike the original design, I don't open up the legs all the way...the cup extention keeps the endpin in place and the legs are opened up enough to be sturdy. I think the stand cost me 40-something bucks at Quinn Violins, and the new knobs came from the hardware store. A friend cut the cradle arms with a cutoff wheel. It just fits into the Bug's outer pouch, too!

4. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Tornadobass, sounds like you and I have exactly the same stand!

5. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Mike...did you add the enlarged endpin cup, too?

With that on, I find that the angle of the legs doesn't make so much difference to securely holding the bass. At home, I fold up the legs quite a bit and sneak the bass + stand into a little spot between my mini-studio desk and my bass cases.

6. mchildree

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    No, I haven't, although I saw the need for it right away. What did you use to enlarge yours? Pics! Pics!

7. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Here are a couple of pics. One shows the cup extension up close...it's a piece of thin aluminum tubing, glued in with clear silicone. The other shows the Bug wedged in between my studio desk and some bass cases.

Note how much the legs are folded up. I open them more on the stage, but not flat to the ground like the pic on the Azola site.

Attached Files: