Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Azola vs. Czech Ease

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by bassopotumus, Dec 11, 2004.

1. bassopotumus

bassopotumus

Mar 17, 2004
    I believe that a good competitior from Azola would be the Eurocoustic Baby Bass.

*I checked out the Newbie links and found nothing on Mr. Gage's new instrument*

Like almost every other URB player out there I am having trouble amplifying my sound. I play in loud volume situations where feedback drives me out of my mind. I've heard awesome comments about both of these "EUB's", but I am concerned about which one would be the most resistant to feedback AND sound like a URB at the same time. If any of you have any comments on either of these basses, or any other bass that would be the best solution to my problem I would greatly appreciate it.

2. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I just picked up an Azola solid body Bugbass and it does a great job of covering an amplified DB sound. I did a jam session yesterday with it and was able to sit in the audience and listen - very convincing. I did have to EQ it (cut highs mostly) to get it that way. IMO once you get past the point of covering up the acoustic sound with an amp there is very little difference, especially with a full band.
    I don't have any experience with either of the models that you mentioned but since they are both hollow bodied instruments you might still have to deal with some feedback issues.

3. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    If you're playing loud enough to feed back chances are you are sustaining hearing damage. I hope you're wearing protection...

4. isolated

isolated Kind of a Jerk, But Funny. Supporting Member

Regarding the volume situation, you may want to consider the Wilson pick-up. I know that Jay Anderson uses that when he's in situations where loudness is an issue.

Has anyone had much experience with the Gage bass in performance situations (playing or listening)? I'm considering purchasing something for a 'B' bass, and I'm interested in that as well as the Guy/Dawson. Would love to hear anyone's comments.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm out on the road right now playing the Alter Ego. Total backing from me.

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Hey, Ray. You got the one that breaks down for packing? If so, how often does it get fully broken down, only for travel days?