1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B string intonation issues...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jebo, Sep 12, 2010.

1. jebo

jebo

Apr 25, 2009
    I just put a new set of DR low riders on my lakland skyline darryl jones 5 string and I'm having issues trying to set the intonation on the B sting. the 12th fret seems to get closer to being in tune when I bring the saddle forward instead of backwards which is weird. It seems that no matter where the saddle is, the 12th fret is too sharp.

any suggestions?

2. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    jebo,

Try to set a "witness point" on the B string. This basically means bending it over the saddle fairly hard. That should help.

Bob

3. jebo

jebo

Apr 25, 2009
    sorry, could you elaborate a little more? I don't understand...

should I push down on the string just before the saddle? is that what you mean?

4. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    He means to bend the string where it meets the saddle.

It's a problem on bigger strings because they're are more resistant to bending... so you gotta help 'em out a bit :D

5. jebo

jebo

Apr 25, 2009
    should I take the string off to bend it? It's already been on the bass for about a week, so its probably bent a bit already.

6. BassBerg

BassBerg

Jan 10, 2010
    I've had to do this in the past and it worked like a charm. Push down on the B string on both sides of the saddle. This will help more of the string contact the saddle and solve your problem.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021