1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

B2RE Opinions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frankjohnson, Mar 19, 2009.

1. I always had thought that the B2RE was a "low end" amp, but got to play through one a few months ago, and again more recently with an identical cabinet to mine (SVT 410HLF).

I really like the way they work together. I played a couple of sets through the Rig and liked the sound (tone relative to volume) as compared to many I have used.

I currently use a Tech 21 Sansamp RBI/QSC PLX 1602 setup and like it a lot. I also have a Peavey T Max head that I like a lot. The Peavey has been pretty much my practice rig but also back up. The QSC has been my mainstay.

I Believe I want to purchse the B2RE and sell the Peavey to offset the cost.

Here.....is where I am asking for feedback.

I believe I will use this amp (B2RE) as a sometimes main amp, and keep the Tech21 cuz its a great piece of equipment.

What are some opinions (Actual - not read from Harmony central) both tonewise, durability, and volume for the B2RE?

It is a basic amp, and I am good with that. It has a few limitations, I am ok with that. I could couple if with the QSC if I needed more power, I am ok with that.

Thanks for the input -

:D

2. the engine

the engine Guest

I promise I'm not trying to smart off at you. But it sounds like you have already made a good decision. If you like the amp, go for it. If you like it MORE than the Peavey, then the decision is made. Peace and good luck!

3. FWIW - its not that I like the B2RE more....than the Peavey.....it just fits this cabinet MUCH better. I Like the T Max with my Avatar rigs, and have really liked it through alot of other cabs....but man.....Pair the B2rE with that 410 HLF.........Whew!

Nice combination!

I just wanted to find out how durable, sound patching into the board and other considerations I had not even think of.....

4. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    I found a B2re new for under $400 and I've been playing it at band practice for a month or so and I really like it. Currently I'm using an Epifani PS112 (or two) , and I've also used it with GK 2x10 and 1x15 BL series speakers. The Epis sound better to me but in each case the B2re has more than enough power to be heard over the guitar player (who plays through a cranked Fender Twin - ouch) and drummer. I usually have to keep the bass knob at 2 or 3 o'clock and I roll off the treble a little to get the sound I like with my bass and cabs. I don't use the graphic EQ.

I know the B2re doesn't get much love around here, but I like its sound and I have no complaints except for the weight, especially in light of the price I paid for it. I'm going to keep mine even though I'm looking to get a LMII or the Carvin BX500 so I can have a light, portable head to go with my little PS112s.

I've also used the direct out for recording at my home studio and it does an adequate job.

5. All good comments.

I agree that there are better heads, but have also used this and been REALLY happy with the sound. I have heard about fan and solder issues, but think that If I luck out and get one that doen't have the issues, I am good, and if I don't I can get it fixed. A SVT III would be my pref too, but cost is the issue today.

The RBI and QSC head is pretty nice, and the B2RE would be either second to it, or used in combimnation in some set up (RBI into B2RE and QSC if needed/or not).

I agree about that whole listen with your ears and hands, not so muchwritten opinions. Sometimes though the written opinions give you a good heads up on real problems....which is what I am looking for, but not hearing much past those two issues I mentioned.

For $400 - lets see how it pans out.

Thanks - I appreciate the info.

6. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've owned a couple of T-Max's, and played through several B2RE's - I would not trade a T-Max for a B2RE, as IMO, the T-Max is a better amp in every regard - much louder, better tone, and more versatile...

- georgestrings

7. Dan the Lorp

Dan the Lorp

Aug 30, 2005
    NW Florida
    Frank,

I have both the B2Re and the 410HLF. I think they are an excellent match. They are plenty loud in reasonable size rooms. But I have to say, I completely overide the B2Re's pre-amp with the Sans Amp BDDI. It warms up the SS sound and just does wonders for the overall tone. I mean, the 3 together really make an excellent combination. The B2Re also sounds fine without the Sans Amp---it has good EQ and gets great sounds out of the 410HLF. Excellent choice!

Question: I use the Sans Amp into the Power Amp In. It overides EVERYTHING on the amplifier's controls---including the Volume and Drive knobs! My only concern is, the red light for being overdriven ALSO doesn't ever flash, the green light does, so I'm thinking I have no way of knowing if I'm overdriving my cabinet.

Any thoughts on that?

8. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    I play a B2re through an Ashdown Mag410 and I honestly didn't like it at first, mostly due to TalkBass reviews giving me GAS for a new head. But a year later the tone that I get out of it has become my own and I wouldn't trade it for anything in its price range.

Also, at one show I played the backline cab was an Ampeg 410 HLF and the tone was pretty sick. It made my Overdrive sound so .. perfect .. I'm thinking about buying that cab. Debating between it and the Avatar.

9. BananaKing

BananaKing Supporting Member

May 15, 2008
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Hey.

I have both a B2Re and an SVT-15e and I love that combo personally!

Warm, Strong, and powerful.

Have fun!

10. impactwrench

impactwrench

Feb 22, 2009
    I had the B-2R for a long time but sold it about a year ago when I got a GK backline 600. Seems I always had the bass knob turned all the way up on the ampeg. The tone was ok, but once I tried the Backline it was all over. :meh:

11. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I have 2 Ampeg b2r amps and an Ampeg b3 ... I love the Ampeg tone ... I A/B tested the ampeg and the other amps came up short.

12. nothumb

nothumb

Sep 20, 2006
    NYC
    i don't think the B2RE is a BAD amp per se, it's just that at that price point i think there are a LOT of better options out there. when i played through one i always had a BDDI in front of it, which colors the tone so much you might as well just be using a power amp or any other comparably-powered head.

you can find a lot of great stuff in that price range or even for less. Genz Benz, Markbass, GK, Eden, etc all have comparably powered heads with much more substance than the B2RE for under $750 brand new. used, you can do even better. that price point is so competitive and there's so much useful stuff to be found.

13. Well......

With all this being said, I don't think I will be doing bad at all.

The B2RE I am getting is a B Stock, and is $410 shipped, new with warranty. At that price point, I think it is going to be tough to go wrong.

It is on backorder, but should be in next 1-2 weeks.

I can always flip it or send it back if it just isn't me...

14. Acquistapace

Acquistapace

Feb 28, 2009
    That's a great price for a great sounding head. Gonna have to see if I can find one for that much myself... :ninja:

15. Contact me off line.......
    tonegrowler@yahoo.com