Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

B3?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by jackmurray, Aug 27, 2005.

1. The guitarist in my band said he heard of a G3 of bass consisting of Stu Hamm, Tony Levin(?) and someone else. Is this true and if so, where can i see/hear them. Are they any good?

Jack

2. Oh yeh, I've got another 2 questions. Sorry for being totally lame, but I don't know what playing in the pocket is and what chops are. There's heaps more abreviations too but I don't remember them. If there's any language I should know tell me (there's prbably a sticky site for it that I missed). Thanks, Jack.

3. If Stu Hamm and Tony Levin are together, I would bet money that the show would kick some serious ass, regardless of who the other is. As for you second question, staying in "the pocket" is pretty much another way of saying "keep it simple". Just keeping a fairly simple groove going is staying in the pocket (I'm 90% sure of that, I might be off). And chops: I've heard different explanations, all I can tell you is that to have chops is a good thing.

Edit--I just noticed the question mark after Tony Levin in your first post. Don't know who he is? Check out his site: www.tonylevin.com. He's extremely talented and played with damn-near everybody, from Peter Frampton to King Crimson to 3 members of Dream Theater working a side project called Liquid Tension Experiment.. (plus I love the sound of the Stick).

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    As a Mod on StuartHamm.net, I'd be the first to hear about this kinda thing, but there is nothing mentioned there.

Stu has talked about the idea before, but nothign came of it.

5. That seems to make sense. Too bad, I would have loved to hear a B3, or even B2. I'm actually a big Levin fan, especially in LTE. I reckon osmosis is the coolest bass ever, it made me want to take up the Stick. Too bad I can't afford it.

Thanks for your help, Jack