1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bach Six Solo Suites: Solo Double Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by Gambaholic, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Gambaholic

Gambaholic

Feb 21, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Anyone familiar with this bassist or this recording?

Richard Hartshorne: Double Bass
    J.S. Bach Six Solo Suites

I just happened on it while trying to find ANY solo double bass recordings on emusic.

I'm brand new to the DB world so I'm not all that familiar with alot of the "names" but this sounds amazing.

Richard-Hartshorne-Double-Bass-J-S-Bach-Six-Solo-Suites

2. mcnaire2004

mcnaire2004

Jan 17, 2006
    everywhere
    Not familiar with the names?

Edgar Meyer
    Edwin Barker
    Joel Quarrington
    Gary Karr
    Donovan Stokes
    Thomas Martin
    Jeff Bradetich

To name a few

3. Peter Ferretti

Peter Ferretti

Jun 7, 2005
    NYC
    Dobbs is a great player. I did a master class with him last year, he had a couple of really interesting ideas about bach, and more specifically how to approach it on the Double Bass.

He experiments a lot with different tunings, so that is something to keep in mind while listening to his playing. It's not as traditional as some would like, but I find some of his recordings to be very, very interesting. I'd definitely give it a listen.

4. Gambaholic

Gambaholic

Feb 21, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the info everyone, especially those links mdcbass. I did a google search on his name but didn't get much (maybe I mispelled). I'll be checking those out tonight. Downloading that recording to my iPod right now!

Thx,
    John