Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Back from Burbank

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So I made it up to Burbank today ostensibly to go to lunch with the office staff, but happened to groove by nonsqtr's house, where I picked up the item below. I've had a chance to play in through my 210+115 rig, and it sounds beetchen, at least as good as the Eden underlying it. It has very clean and true tone, and monster volume with no hint of wimping out.

Thanks to nonsqtr for your patience with my impatience. This thing rules consistent with its reputation. Now if I just had a gig.

2. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I've heard those things are garbage. You should probably get rid of it ASAP. I will take one for the team and trade you my Warwick head for it. I'm on the east side of LA and you could pick it up on your lunch break. :)

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, good deal! I'll be there around noon tomorrow. Wait for me.

4. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Congrats bro! Yer gonna love it!

5. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I'd really like to try double bass thru one of walter's heads someday. I hear they're really nice like that. Congrats!

Dibs if you ever wanna sell it;)

6. Congrats and welcome to the club. One of the things you might want to try is a little trick that Walter turned all of us on to a while back. One of the things you might notice (Boogiebass... don't jump on me here... I said 'might' :) ) is a little 'shyness' in low end punch with that amp if you are grinding and rocking/funking at high volumes. If you turn the 'send mix' control all the way up, for some reason (Walter either doesn't know or most probably won't share!) it expands the low end a little bit in a way that is different from the bass control. I keep mine all the way up all the time.

Anyway, have fun with it!

KJ

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I can only dream...

If only I had a spare $6000...

8. Munj-Mister... Nice Bro...
    I really like mine, but it's takin' a little rest since I got my DB750 :D I'm sure I'll be using it soon enough for smaller things. I racked mine in a three space bag and it's still incredibly light. I have my Radial JDI velcroed in the back and have a Toneworks rack tuner. I was fine with it un-racked until the second gig my nephew came real close to dumping a rum and coke on it.... :eek: We often have a rush of people coming up to the playing area as soon as we go for break..many are interested in were my bass amp is...

Kjung is correct about the "magic knob" it definately increases the lower mids and bass. Another trick is turn the mids knob all the way to the right and add some with the knob left of it for some extra cutting. I spoke with Walter about this and all the way to the "right" is the lower frequency around 100hz. You can check with him if you want. The suggestion first came from Mr. Bergantino while we were doin' some brainstorming, he's pretty familar with the WWU and the infamous "mini-stack." Thanks Jim and Walter.

I hope Non still has a WW.....that's his favorite amp.

9. PS. If you are looking for a very lightweight case, Mooradian makes a Walter Woods bag... very high quality and a large enough pocket to carry a speaker cable and extension cord. You have to dig a little bit on the website to find it, but if you just call them up, they will know exactly what you are talking about... they've sold a ton of them.

I have a small road case for mine when it needs to go in a truck/van, etc. However, if you are carrying it yourself in your own vehicle, the bag works great (as long as you are careful!)

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Gator makes nice rackbags too...

11. Part of the coolness of the Walter is that it is just so small. It's kind of a shame IMO to put it in a rack or rack bag, which takes the size back up to a more traditional amp. However, I've seen it done... all personal taste. It's just amazing to carry that little, tiny Mooradian bag over your shoulder and realize that you have a 1,200 watt, two channel amp in there, which is pretty much capable of playing any gig on earth... amazing. Now, if we could just get Walter to get rid of one of those effects loops and use the space for a nice low impedence DI :D