1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad back, Advice on lightweight basses needed

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by James Keith, Oct 3, 2013.

1. I blew out my back in the Army, and am in the market for a new bass to add to my stable. What are my options, as far as lightweight basses, with great tone? Price doesn't matter, but I'd like a range of options ranging from inexpensive to custom made. That being said, I'm a HUGE Carvin fan. Any help is extremely appreciated!:help:

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I recently scored a Gamma Jazz bass built by Joe Milstein who is a TBer. 7 pounds and great playability and tone. VERY inexpensive.

3. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
  4. Those are COOL in a Salvidore Dali(Spelling?) kinda way! Love it! Keep em coming!!!:bassist:

5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    hofner comes to mind

6. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

Look for a Fender "P-Lyte"....

7. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    The new Gibson basses are really light. Awesome sound as well.

8. You might not have to switch, a better strap like the gruvgear double strap or a waist strap to keep the weight off your back.

9. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Sep 21, 2011
    Danelectro

They are around 5lbs. I think.

10. I'm gonna enjoy this search! Bring on the GAS!!!!

11. Gougedeye

Gougedeye Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Central Washington
    I got 2 choices for you, both awesome! First up, you should try out a NYC Sadowsky. Light weight and superb craftsmanship! the 2nd is a Mike Lull. I have a PJ5 and it weighs 7.5 lbs! Super playablity and construction. these two will cost you a pretty penny, but they are well made, top shelf instruments.

12. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    I gave my son a paulownia wood P bass. It
    weighed 6 pounds 12 ounces. It sounds
    great and is full size. The wood is soft
    and splits easily. More so than bass
    wood.

You can get a Jazz Bass body at Guitarfetish
    that weighs 3 pounds 8 ounces for $55.

There are a few companies that make higher
    end basses in paulownia wood.

If it makes you feel better to spend lots of
    money on it, they have those.

If you want to save lots of bucks, you can
    go that way too,

Tabdog

13. Thanks for the replies, everyone! SO much easier when you know where to look.

14. funk generator

funk generator Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Johnson City, TN
    My ken smith was pretty light.
    Really I'd just get on the classifieds here and find something that you like. Then just ask about the weight. Also maybe check out ├╝ber-jay basses. I don't know how light they are but I'm pretty sure he chambers the bodies which would help with weight.

15. Vegatron3000

Vegatron3000

Oct 3, 2013
    Check out a Warwick streamer lx 4 string. The Spector ripoff is my favorite 4 string.

Great tone, light and butter to play. I have carpel tunnel symptoms, overused forearms and back issues so I also put the strap lock on the bottom cutaway to help with balance. Weird at first but once I got used to it I had it done on all my basses. The strap gets in the way around the 14th fret but I don't make money playing past the 12th fret so it doesn't bother me any.

16. TGLbass

TGLbass

Aug 20, 2010
    You'd be surprised how light my 09 Roadworn P bass is AND it has killer tone. I've read where other Roadworn owners say the same thing.

17. Ibanez is reknown for their light basses, especially their SR models. Check out the SR500 model. Bartolini pickups, fast & slim neck, three-band Bartolini preamp and probably the lighest body you'll play on all year. Doesn't hurt that it actually sounds a lot more expensive than it actually is.

The only issue I can imagine you coming across is whether or not the body is too thin or if the neck is too thin/narrow for your liking. Still worth checking out imo.

18. I have an Ibanez SR 4 string. It hurts my back. Might need to try that strap out

19. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Contact Nino Valenti. He's made some seriously light basses. He had one at a gtg and I was joking with him that it was made of balsa wood. It was extremely light. He can do pretty much anything you want as far as pickups and preamps or passive. Prices are reasonable too.

20. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    The lightest basses I've ever played were NYC Sadowskys.

My current primary bass is a Carvin SB5000 with a chambered body. It's not super light for a chambered bass, but if you specifically request a very light instrument, Carvin would probably help accommodate you. They sound and play amazing.

That all said, you can generally find examples of any brand that are very light, just have to shop around. Custom basses are much easier to guarantee a spec though.