1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad Company, over looked and forgotten?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rocks, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    I was just watching a live Bad Co. concert recored in 2008 and even though the music was rather simple it all had a great groove to it. The leads were nothing spectacular, the bass was solid yet rather easy to play, yet the music still had something that grabbed me. They played mostly their top hits and did a great job considering I was listening to their albums when I was in junior high school some 20+ years ago. people on here talk about many bands and great bass players but I submit Bad Co. as one of the very influential rock bands that many musicians don't mention for one reason or another. I see them as up there with CCR, Hendrix and many others for what they contributed musically. None of them (bad Co.) were incredible musicians, but they sure got the job done.

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Solid, no nonsense rock! Paul Rogers has a hell of a voice to boot!

3. Deluge Of Sound

Deluge Of Sound Inactive

Nov 8, 2007
    Maine/Vermont
    I've got to give them points for their creativity.
    Band name: Bad Company
    Debut Album: Bad Company
    Biggest single: Bad Company

:bag:

4. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    heck yeah, Paul still sounds like he is in his 20's but with the wisdom of his real age. The man can sing rock extremely well for his basic rock range. It's got me thinking baout putting together a Bad Co/free tribute band. I would be a blast and so many songs people would dance to that could be real fun to play if you took a few liberties with the music.

5. XigXag

XigXag

Mar 30, 2010
    Dayton Ohio
    I'm with you. Good solid basic rock. Zeppelins' first contract for Swan Song.

6. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    yeah, good lyrics/song writing, good solid basic rock, good talent to play it live. Most are not stand out players on their own but as a band they f'n rock. Of course Paul Rodgers is the stand out musical talent live. Not sure who did most of the writing, I'll have to look into it.

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    They're not really "forgotten". Is a classic rock radio station that doesn't have at least a couple of Bad Company tunes in their rotation really a classic rock radio station?

8. Rocks

Rocks

Mar 9, 2009
    Willoughby, Ohio
    not on this planet. But I was referring to all the other bands that are talked about regularly and Bad Co. isn't talked about much as an influence for classic rock players.

9. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Meh. Mick was better with Mott the Hoople.

10. I wouldn't say they're forgotten...Five Finger Death Punch has their cover of "Bad Company" getting pretty regular radio play right now. In fact, I think there was a thread about that around here.

11. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    Bad Co. was an all around great, straight forward rock band. Solid rhythm section (R.I.P. bassist Boz Burrell), catchy songs, good vocal harmonies, and Paul Rodgers on lead vocals made for a string of top hits. Paul is considered one of the premier rock singers ever. Queen picked him to sing on their last tour and album and that says something.

I have played several Bad Co. songs over the years and they always go over well. The first Bad Co. album is still one of my top 10 favorite albums. Their double CD box set is a must for any classic rock fan.

I was just listening to the Bad Co. cover of The Coasters song Young Blood.

12. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    The late 80s and 90s lineup of Bad Co. with Brian Howe on vocals and a couple different bass players had a long string of hits too including these two #1 rock hits.

13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    When Deep Purple were looking to replace Ian Gillan in '73 they (Blackmore) offered the gig to Paul Rodgers, who declined 'cuz he was forming Bad Co.
    Purple decided on David Coverdale.
    The debut Bad Co. album came out around the same time as Purple's Burn LP. (early '74)
    My sister bought the Bad Co. record, I bought Burn.
    I thought Deep Purple's album was better, due to it's heaviness and just 'cuz it was Purple (my preference at the time) but may have been even greater with Rodgers on vocals.
    Oh what may have been....

14. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I always thought BadCo was a very mixed bag... it was clear that Boz was on of few bassists in "Radio rock" that actually played... and the song construction was solid... but lord, some of the dumbest lyrics I've ever heard.

I was sad when Boz died - he was a great story and fine player.

Oh, and as for my cred on this subject: My high school prom's "theme song" was "Rock and roll fantasy" - - not one of their better tunes (imho)... 1979 - it was just yesterday!

15. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    FWIW, I saw Bad Co. in the late 70's and I thought they were rather lame. Kansas opened for them and put them seriously in the shade.

16. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Mick is much better remembered with Bad Company.

I just read a '79 Guitar Player interview with Ralphs. Interesting stuff.

Believe me, I loved Mott the Hoople 'cause of their originality. But, Bad Co. also possesed a more sellable 'originality'.

That's the music biz.

17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Yeah, I think BadCo really lasted as long as they did on two things: Their first big hit, "Feel like makin' love" was one of those AM radio monster MONSTER hits - it gave them juice for a few albums at least... and two: Their name. Great name, no doubt.

But the music? When I was in cover bands in the late '70s / '80s, I did my share of "can't get enough of your love", "Rock and Roll Fantasy" and "Superstar" to never want to hear another badco song again. But like I said before: Boz was one of those guys who actually inspired me to be better. Him and Nick Jameson of Foghat - bassists who were better than the bands they were in.

18. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Hit Rock has been teaching me to get out of my own way and keep it solid & simple.
    Hit Rock serves it purpose, as much as I have a visceral dislike for much of it.

19. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

12-Aug-74
    "Can't Get Enough" is released as a single:

Richland123 likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 28, 2021