BadAss II Buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by nicfit, Mar 19, 2004.

1. nicfit

Dec 30, 2003

I've tried searching for this problem but couldn't find any results. (sorry if there are any though)

Whenever I pop my A and D strings, there is this rattling buzz sound. This was not a problem with the stock Fender bridge, it only surfaced after I installed a Badass bridge. This buzz only happens when I pop the strings (open and fretted), when I pluck them etc there is no buzz. I've tried raising the action as well but to no avail.

I've also used the Gary Willis setup guide to check for neck relief and its within the specifications mentioned in his website.

The bridge saddles are slotted and I think that may be the cause of the problem (I don't think i did a very good job at it, although it meets the 4-5 o clock and 7-8 o clock positions mentioned here by one user. Its also a V-shaped slot). The only deficiency in my filing that I have noticed is that the string spacing between the E and A strings are 18mm instead of 19mm (would that make the buzz?)

This buzzing actually occurs on the E, A and D strings but since I don't pop the E, it doesn't really affect me. The G however, is fine.

Could anyone help me in identifying the source of this problem and perhaps some solutions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. Could the springs be giving you trouble?
  3. nicfit

Dec 30, 2003

I've tried holding the springs down but there's still the buzz. I've also tried the paper-in-the-nut-groove thing, I'm not sure if I did it correctly, but it still did not work.

4. E-rock

Mar 3, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I had a similar problem with mine. The problem is with the slots. Once I filed mine down a little bit more to fit the specific size string, the buzz went away.
  5. nicfit

Dec 30, 2003

Ok, I think I should file them slightly wider? How would you propose I file the incline at the back of the saddle (the sting seems to rest heavily on this incline)

Thanks so much! :)
  6. Since this only happens when you pull-off those strings and doesn't when you pluck has me confused. Vibration of any type should have an effect. Does this sound come through the amp or do you just hear it unplugged? Can any amount of forced damping (like holding the bridge) while you pop stop the buzz? Are you 100% sure that the bridge is buzzing? Could it be another part of the bass that is making the sound and having it sound like the bridge?

Besides, when you pop the note duration is pretty short - how is it that you hear a vibration during such such short notes? After the initial attack of the note, the strings vibrate just like they would have if you had plucked the string.

Very curious
  7. nicfit

Dec 30, 2003

The buzz when I pop is more of a rattling sound as the string vibrates. Sounds a bit like as though there's a thin piece of aluminium foil at the apex of the vibration wave, thus causing this vibration. It does not happen when I pluck normally and as I've stated, this only surfaced when I changed to a BadAss Bridge, so I assumed it has to be the bridge's fault. I tried damping both the bridge and nut but to no effect.

Today I tried it with a bigger amp and with a much louder volume and still there's not much of a buzz when I pluck. (The buzz comes out both acoustically and through the amp.)

The buzz sounds worse on the popped E and marginally less so as the gauges go down (it does not, however, happen on the G string).

I'm not sure exactly WHERE the sound of the buzz comes from, but the buzz sounds louder at the bridge than anywhere else (it seems to travel across the entire bass)

Could it be that (as stated by E-rock) that the slots are not wide enough? Or could it be the incline at the back of the saddle is not filed wide enough as well?

I'm quite confused over this as well. :(

But any information would be gladly appreciated! :)

Thanks! :) :)
  8. nicfit

Dec 30, 2003

I've tried filing a wider groove onto the bridge saddles, but there's still a buzz.... :(

Anyone got any other suggestions? Anything would be helpful now. :)

9. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    As a troubleshooting measure, try raising the saddle height on the strings in question. If the buzz subsides or goes away, maybe there's not enough down pressure over the saddles. I'm just thinking out loud here....

Good luck,