Badass II on Rickenbacker 4001

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Greyson Wade, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Greyson Wade

Greyson Wade

Aug 21, 2019
    Now before anyone say it, I know I could just get a Hipshot. However, I don't like how those look compared to the Badass II, but where can I get a mounting plate for a Badass II on a 4001?

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    Out there!
    You make, or have one made to you own specs. It's pretty easy to figure it out, it being a flat piece of plastic or metal depending what you want, shaped however you want it to be. Then, drill some holes in it.

Back in the day I installed a BA II on my '67 4005WB, but a few years later I put the stock bridge and R tailpiece back on the bass.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Check out some of Geddy’s old Rics for inspiration, he used a white plastic surround. I actually bought a BA2 with the same mod in mind on my 4001 back in the day, but chickened out. Ultimately I’m glad i didn’t put it on, it won’t change the tone much, if any, and it always looks a little off IMO. What’s the goal, easier intonation adjustment? The stock bridge is a PITA to adjust, no doubt, but how often are you messing with intonation? You already know the Hipshot is the best option functionally, but if you must, make a plastic surround exactly the footprint of the existing bridge, which barely covers the bridge saddle and mute routes, and only drill holes inside that footprint. That way it’s reversible. Or wait a while, Ric appears to have designed a new bridge for the Al Cisneros model, with sliding saddles similar to a Badass. They may make it available as a retrofit part, nobody knows for sure yet.
    RICKENBACKER BASS WITH BADASS BRIDGE - Google Search

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 23, 2022