1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bag for 3/4 bass?

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by dhbailey52, Jun 13, 2018.

1. dhbailey52

dhbailey52

Feb 20, 2017
    I've just come into possession of a very old plywood 3/4 bass, which currently has a very old canvas, not very padded, bag. I'm looking to buy a newer bag, one which offers more protection and have narrowed it down to the two following choices:
    Bobelock 1020 which I can buy for $255 (southwest strings) - 1" foam padding
    Heritage bass bag which I can buy for $149 (shar) - 2.5cm foam padding (=1")

I can't see either of them before I make the purchase so I thought I would ask here if anybody has any opinions either way about these two bags.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can share with me.

2. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    One thing to think about is, do you want (need) backpack style straps or shoulder strap? This is all about how you carry the bass. The Heritage has Backpack style straps. The Eastman bag is a great bag at a lower cost than most. It has a single shoulder strap. 1 in of foam is sort of standard. Its more about the quality of the foam. Also..... HANDLES!! Are there enough and are they in the right place for you. If you do a search here you'll find great opinions on numerous threads.

3. It’s been my experience that you can’t have too many handles on an doghouse bag!

misterbadger likes this.
  4. dhbailey52

dhbailey52

Feb 20, 2017
    Thanks for those thoughts. I've considered those questions -- I don't want backpack straps, I do want a shoulder strap (may well not use it but it will be good to have it in case), and handles for easy carrying. The Bobelock seems to have handles in good places, so I've gone ahead and ordered it. I found it on sale at Johnson Strings for $205 for the 3/4 size bag. It's out of stock at the moment but they will honor the sale price when they get new stock in, so I've ordered it. I realize that until I actually get to using the bag I won't be sure whether it's right or not, but the price is right. The bass doesn't warrant a $600 bag (and my budget can't afford it anyway).

5. One more thought post bag purchase; having tried endpin wheel - I think the bass buggy is a better option when “the rubber hits the road”...

Just my 2 cents...

6. dhbailey52

dhbailey52

Feb 20, 2017
    Thank you for that suggestion -- at the moment transportation isn't an issue for me, but I'll certainly keep that in mind as opposed to the endpin wheel.

Thanks!

7. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    You will like the Bobelock. I have one for my 3/4.

8. Inky13

Inky13

Nov 13, 2016
    Buffalo NY
    The Gollihur bag looks pretty good.

9. dhbailey52

dhbailey52

Feb 20, 2017
    Thanks -- I had seen that one in my searching. It does look good. If the place I ordered the Bobelock through at a great sale price doesn't come through with the bag, I'll definitely consider it.