1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Band Drama!!!

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by mellowinman, Jun 12, 2012.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    It was hot on Saturday.

Terribly, terribly hot.

We lugged gear a long way, and played for free, for the American Cancer Society. I hear they raised $45,000.00 that day!

Everyone did everything wrong, and I was annoyed, and I acted annoyed, and I could tell you in great detail about how each person could have done things better, and I considered quitting, and even divorcing my wife, who is also in the band.

The drama raged, and I was right about everything, and everyone else was wrong, and then I remembered something very important; something we each must come to terms with at some point in our lives; something that made me reconsider the entire thing.

I am an ass.

2. bolophonic

bolophonic Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Post of the year.

3. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    At least you know you're a dick, and knowing is half the battle.

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I probably should've figured it out sooner, considering my name is Richard.

5. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    You should have posted on TB sooner, and we would have been glad to remind you. ;)

We all have our days. Owning up to them is a good thing.

6. Mellowin bro, I've done that too. Maybe you and I should live up to our monikers. :D

7. Sometimes you gotta be de ass. There's one in every crowd, you know- what if de ass didn't show up? Balance goes out the window.

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I'm sorry; I can't marry you. I'm pretty sure we're both already married, and I don't think either one of us are gay.

Otherwise, it would be a great idea!

9. The asshat has to be worn by somebody,may as well be the bass player.

10. I have a very redneck friend who likes to say *It's only gay if you get caught* :)

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Don't hate me, but much of the time I'm just the lead singer.

We're a band with not only two bass players, but two bass players with different axes and different rigs.

My wife plays an Ibanez SR700 through a huge old Sunn cab with two 15 inch JBL speakers, and I play a Fender Jazz through a Fender Rumble combo.

Mine sounds better. :)

12. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Free gigs, hot days, a lot of gear. I hear ya. We do the same thing for our church's fundraiser, Cancer society (Susan B Koman) Habitat for Humanity, and a new one this year - Wounded Warriors. It gets hard to do sometimes, especially in AZ where today it was 106 - but we suck it up.

As far as everyone in the band "effin" up, that's a different story. Free gig or not, you should always strive to do your best.

Glad you came to grips with reality though. No matter how bad things are, there is never a good reason to be an ass about it.

Cheers.

13. Syco_bass

Syco_bass Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2008
    Tucson, Arizona
    Didn't Justin Timberlake do a skit on SNL singing "It ain't gay in a 3 way" or something like that.

LOL.

14. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Whoa, whoa, whoa sailor. You didn't even buy me a drink yet.

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    "Use Me" with our Guitar Player's seventeen year old little brother on lead vocals. He did try to cut through the mix best he could. He was using my mic, and I'm just a bit louder than him.

Musically it was a good day.

Set-up and tear down were ridiculous.

We had to park a long way from the spot we jammed at.

16. A keyboardist bud said *we play for free- we get paid to move our stuff around*

17. Alrod

Alrod

Apr 7, 2012
    I can definitely understand why you were pissed.

18. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Oh, can you now?

19. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I notice you always need a drink when the whole "gay" thing comes up.
    Is that to lubricate your inhibitions, or your behymen?

20. :D

So you had a bad gig, we've all had a few...or more.