Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Band name

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LegolasX, Mar 26, 2005.

1. LegolasX

LegolasX

Mar 16, 2005
    A few of my mates and I recently created a new band and we all have mixed opinions of what we should call it. I know in the end its our band so it should be our decision but this is just a poll for my own curiosity and in the end probably will have no effect just give me more peoples views...below are a few of our ideas if you have any more feel free to offer them....and no pisstakes please. Just rate them out of 10 or something, or just give your favourite.

Repetition
    Rock elite
    Xtreme
    Rewrite
    The Unseen
    Rewire
    Sealed Fate
    Xclusive
    Lost elite
    Duel fate

Thanks.

2. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    NOT Xclusive.. Please not Xclusive. :eek: :p

3. IMO

Repetition - 5
    Rock elite - 5
    Xtreme - 0
    Rewrite - 4
    The Unseen - taken and copyrighted as far as i know
    Rewire - 6
    Sealed Fate - 7
    Xclusive - 2
    Lost elite - 0 (sounds like a counterstrike clan :p)
    Duel fate - 8

Keep em coming tho. Took my band ages to come up with a name that stuck.

4. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    What kind of music do you guys play?

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What does this have to do with Basses? How about nothing?

Moved to Miscellaneous, I guess.

6. LegolasX

LegolasX

Mar 16, 2005
    Everything really, indie, (killers snow patrol etc.) heavy metal (metallica etc.) punk rock etc. etc o and alot of chilli peppers.

7. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    How about Killer Metal Snow Peppers?

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    X instead of 'ex' is always a bad idea. As is 'elite' unless it's used in an obviously sarcastic manner, but even then it's best to leave it alone.

The Unseen is taken.

Frankly, I think they're all pretty bad. Rewire is the only decent one of the bunch.

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Go back to square one with band names. That list is not that great.

You need a name that is easy for drunk people to say. :)

-Mike

10. A fun way to get band names is to put together two completely unrelated words:

Electric Cheese
    Beef Headband
    Organic Baseball

etc...

11. bassjus

bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    Mass
    I like it! :bassist:

12. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Scratch that list. Here's some names that start with the letter L and one the starts with H.

Lecter
    Lucabrazi
    Lumbar
    Leghorn
    Lucution
    Latrine
    Loam
    Lustrum
    Lilliputian
    Lichen
    Lenis
    Lamprey

Hussar

But those aren't any better. :bag:

13. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    These are actually pretty good. Loam sounds like a Butthole Surfers kind of band (maybe because I'm thinking of Lard...). Leghorn makes me think of Foghat...probably because of Foghorn Leghorn.

This would be a really good hardcore band name (I have a feeling it's taken though).

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Loam is actually a type of nutrient-rich soil. You probably recognize the other three names, and I believe Hussar is a light horse calvary.

They would have to add marching percussion to use that one, and bugles. :D

15. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Mmmm...Dictionary :D ....I do like the cramming unrelated words together though, kinda like "Wish Bass" 'eh?

Disclamer: just because the words Wish and Bass are used in this post, there is no need to go starting a whole "Wishbass" debate here...

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I kind of like Unseen and Repetition...but only for irony's sake.

I like Lilliputian Hussars.

But really listen to the advice about making it something drunk people can say. And don't pick a word/phrase that is getting a lot of recent use. Even if it sounds cool now it will be embarassing later. For example...my old band: Fuzzy Logic. or a band that are friends of my son: Paradigm.

Both were great ideas originally, and probably for about a week afterwards.

So maybe 'Unseen Lilliputian Hussar' , or maybe find something that speaks to you directly.

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Look at stories you like and pick a charaters name. Act like that is the name of somebody in the band. A project I did a while back with the guitar player of Fuzzy Logic and a keyboardist he knew was called "Mohammed Chang." Because, even though the most common first name in the world is Mohammed, and the most common last name is Chang, you never meet Mohammed Chang.

He and I also made some cheesy demos of some of our old music, to help him get the hang of his home studio, and we put the two names I use for personal projects on it so that it looks like the CD and Band names are 'Cause & Defect' and 'Meanwhile, Elsewhere' , except that you can't tell which is the band name and which is the album name.

Do something like that.

Listen to/read a George Carlin routine. There are bound to be lots of phrases in there that sound like a band name: high-tech low-life, outward-bound inner child, Alpha male on Beta blockers, napalm and silly putty...

18. i got two words for u bro.....

JOW VEGA

peace,
    Chips

19. I can't be the only one who's thought of Foghat Leghorn...

"I say, I say, I say... Slow Ride... Take it easy, now Son..."