Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassGod, Jan 25, 2004.

1. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    :bassist: My band has been together for about 8 months, and ive known the guitarist my entire life, but me and the guitarist always argue... if he starts a piece of music, i'll usually come up with a kick butt bassline, but he will always say that it takes away from his part (which it doesn't). I just dont wanna be a crappy root note bassist... i play with a pick, and i already have that against me. i need some expert advice

2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Shoot the guitarist?
  3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    record the two bass lines-let some who you and the guitar play both think has good taste on music decide.
  4. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Write some riffs and licks play them how you want then instruct him what you want him to do in YOUR songs. Eithier you both write and play how the other suggests or you both create with each other. But he cant dictate to you what to do on every song. Start telling him what to do with your riffs see how much he likes it. Or talk to him about it and tell him this needs to stop.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It is very possible that your bassline might interfere with his guitar riff melodically or rhythmically. Don't be afraid of root notes, they can be your friend.

It is also very possible that your friend is a pompus ass who isn't interested in making music as much as he is showing off. In that case, talk to him about it and if he isn't willing to listen, you'll never be happy in that band and should leave, or if possible, drop the guitarist.
  6. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Fire the guitarist, hire a new one.