Band offer..

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by scoobs, May 12, 2004.

1. So I was asked to be a band the other week but im not really all that sure I want to join.

I went to school with this guy and he asked me to join a band influenced by bands I don't really like. He is into pop-punk stuff like Blink-182, Sum 41, new found glory, etc.. I asked him if he knew the bands I liked (Alkaline Trio, Anti-Flag, AFI, from autumn to ashes, Thrice, finch, Poison the well, fugazi, pulley, etc...) and he didn't really know these bands... so what should i do, i havent been in a fully blown band before, but i dont want to start out in something ****ty that it will hold me back from doing other stuff that im more interested in, but also i would like to be in a band. And also i don't know the other guys he has lined up are and how good they are (i realise it isn't important to be "good" in a punk band but still you have to be able to play at least 3 cords/notes).

:confused: :help:
  2. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    I would do it just for the experience, but make clear to this other guy that this pop-punk really isn't your bag. And if it starts conflicting with something you really want to do, just quit, since you will have already been upfront with the guys about it since the beginning, shouldn't be too much of a surprise to them if you continue on to something else.

Or you may find you like it, or be able to network with the other guys. I think it's win-win.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    If you decide to be anal about what you play you might never get into a band.

No band is going to "hold you back" from playing other stuff, you can always get in other bands if the opportunity arises. I've played in as many as 4 at the same time, each doing very different styles. Besides you can turn these guys on to what you like (every band I've been in bandmates have exposed me to music I wasn't familiar with) and maybe they'll want to play some of that, too.

I think you should tell him you'll give it shot for a month or two to see how it goes.
  4. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah, join the band as long as you're upfront about what you really want to do.

Who knows you might like playing this stuff and you can always be in more than one band.

All the guys in my band have aleast one other project, except me.

So yeah, do it.
  5. Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    *One more vote for joining the band.*

I was in the same situation with you about 2 years ago. While it didn't work for me being in a pop-punk band, it was worth the good times and experience.

It's really not hard to get these pop-punk kids to listen to punk-hardcore. Hardcore will be the new "pop" soon anyways. :meh: Have them listen to the songs that can bridge both your tastes, like the more poppy songs from Finch, Alkaline Trio and AFI. Then, start working in the Thrice and Funeral for a Friend type stuff. Then, bring 'em over to the dark side with Poison the Well and From Autumn to Ashes. This method has worked fairly well for me. ;)

Join the band; you never know what could happen.

Good luck.
  6. ambolina

ambolina Guest

Apr 7, 2004
    San Diego, Ca
    That could be easy music to learn for you first experience learning to play with a band. And who knows, it might be fun to PLAY even if it's not what you like to listen to.

But it's important that you like the people in your band. I say give it a try for a couple weeks. See if you like them, have a good time playing with them, if the music doesn't totally drive you nuts. If you don't like your music or your band mates that much, it's not worth it.

And as others have said, do be upfront right at the beginning that it's not really the type of music you like, but you want to play in a band and see how it works out so you want to give it a go for a few weeks. Also, to be fair, you shouldn't be bothered if they also keep their options open and continue looking for another bassist who shares their interests.

And I liked the one guy's suggestion on how to share you influences with them. You can play some of it while you're sitting around taking your breaks.
  7. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    I say go for it unless you are just going to be playing covers of those crappy bands.

I've noticed that even though people say that they are influenced by such and such, that when it comes to writing your own material you don't necessarily end up sounding like your influences. Each member of the band can bring their own flavor in and you can end up with something that no one would ever expect and you all can find common ground in. And like some other people have said, you can always open their eyes up to other (better) music. :bassist:
  8. Thanks for the advice guys. I like Hurley000's idea :D