band posters, another batch. Input?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by xush, Oct 8, 2004.

1. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    so an offhand comment to my photographer buddy about where to get posters done prompts this:

about 15 minutes worth of his time, banged out some basic ideas.
    Any observations?

We'd probably change the font at least, but are any of these going anywhere?
    Just some basic ideas to get the ball rolling- nothing serious yet.

We're also trying to come up with a logo, man that's a challenge!
  2. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA

In that order.

I like the noise that is going on behind the logo.
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thanks guys. Strangely enough, #7 leads in the polls on our local radio station message board.

Thanks Smash, we're looking forward to making another one day.
    Guess the album's got to come first though..
  4. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

4 & 5 are really good.
  6. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    3. 5. 2. 1, in that order.

And I understand 7 being popular. When I was in Some Ugly Dudes we got our best responses from posters kind of like 7. Ours included the word balloon "Who you callin' ugly?'
  7. I think that 7 is the best. Not because I don't like actual photos, I just don't like busy design. I like simplicity, and a sense of ambiguity.

Next would be 5, because the hues are interesting, and a singular focal point might as well be a hot chick, yes? Sell that.

The others being variants or a plain logo submission, I'd say next in line would have to be #1.
  8. And for the logo, a big blow up of an "am" from an old clock radio lcd is kinda neat.
  9. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    7 seems to be winning, but I have to say it would probably be pretty hard to convince
    the band. We are pretty 'technology oriented,' and we'd like something artistic.
    Maybe that's exactly why we should do the complete opposite on a poster though.
    I dunno.

I'd also hate to NOT feature the singer prominently. She's pretty much the draw for the band visually, I have to assume.
  10. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    7 is too lennon. Kind of uninspired, really.
  11. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I see now that I was too vague in the intial post... my fault, sorry.
    These are merely posters for sale at the venues (weird how many people want to buy posters...I never would have thought of selling them.)

It wouldn't be for a gig flyer at all, only for folks who already know the band.
    We rotate flyer designs pretty frequently.

This poster would be a run of large posters for sale or display at record stores or elsewhere where no gig details (or print at all, really) would be required.
  12. See now SMASH, I'm of the exact opposite mentality, because I think that just putting some live pics on a poster gives the impression of trying LESS.

Then again, I had to only pick from 7 options, and the artier one the better, imo. with #5 being second.

I'm in the same way where I pick a group to see sometimes from their posterings. But where you and I differ here is that I see something more in a cool poster vs. an obvious sell.

It doesn't have to be a stick figure, but it could be a good, non descript picture of something that makes me think, and in a way, makes me think the band is comprised of thinkers too...creative in print medium, hopefully creative musically. Convoluted thinking in a perfect world scenario? Sure...but

Now this isn't come-uppance here, or snobbery, that's just how I operate. And there's plenty of space on a poster for both a cool image and a live shot. It doesn't have to be one or the other, I just know what I like....then again, I've been of a "graphic arts" mindset for many years, so that definitely is coming into play here....

Maybe #7 could be a bitchin t-shirt design. Maybe the poster could be the singer wearing that t-shirt. Who knows...

Always looking for tie-ins....

13. That's cool, and thanks for understanding that I really meant nothing "*******-y" by that....

I also wanted to say, moving forward, that I cannot stress the importance of adding your website addy to any posterings

(I know it sounds obvious, but this is in fact where my interest leads me next...if I like the imagery, I will check out the site, and then that would lead to my checking you out)

14. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    good point, noted!
    we're usually pretty good about tacking the URL onto whatever we print, I'm sure we'd stick it on there when we decide on printing some.