1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bandeoke

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tycobb73, May 9, 2010.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I know there was a thread on this a few weeks ago but can't find it. I'm interested in doing this. Can those who do it tell me all the details? How many songs? How do you practice the female songs? What songs are popular? How did you go about selling it to bars? ect.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  3. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    @ tycobb73----Hey! I'm the original poster on the other thread you mentioned,and I'm as interested as you to get more info.

As I mentioned before,I brought it up to the guys at practice,and they were in.We currently have a "poll" going to find out the most popular/least painful songs :D

We have been testing the waters since our happy misfortune,by letting a "guest appearance" happen now and then. Usually at the start of 3rd and middle of last set.

So far it's been a lot of fun for everyone. We've even found a couple people learned songs we normally play,so they could join in on back-up.

I still don't think I'd want to do an entire night of it,but it would be fun for a set!

4. I once played a house party where we did this.

It was just two piece - bass and guitar.

We practiced as many songs as we could 2 or 3 times through, and printed the lyrics. All the lyrics went into a folder.

We set up PA at the party and told people to pick anything out of the folder.

It was awesome. Everybody loved it. There were no expectations that the cover songs were faithful to the original, and nobody cared when mistakes were made. We were kept busy by the guest singers for hours - longest set I have ever played. Took a break and people want to keep singing, so we did it some more.

It's definitely not rock star glory, but it was a lot of fun and really easy to do.

5. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    Yeah,the best part is the "no expectations" part. Makes it "interesting" at times :D,but everyone knows it's just good fun!

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    universal citywalk in orlando has a live karaoke club. went there one night, my wife signs me up to sing. now i'm a pretty good singer, certainly not the best ever, but at karaoke gigs i'm always one of the best ones there. at this club, the only singers worse than me were these two drunk girls who sang "single ladies." everyone else was fabulous. crazy!

7. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    My band occasionally sort of does this. It started as us being the house band for a few open mic nights and having a lot of people who want to sing. It also helps that our keyboardist has an encyclopedic knowledge of pop and rock songs and can pick up anything on a moment's notice. We actually took a tally of the songs we know how to play and got to about 340 or so. It's definitely a great way for a band to expand it's repertoire. Careful if you're selling it to bars though, as you're going to want to have a fairly strong repertoire to begin with. I've found that singers aren't too picky about whether you can play the song exactly as long as you can stay in the tempo range as the original. It also helps for the whole band to be able to transpose on a singer's whim. If you do decide to go forward with it, the open mic thing might be a good way to jump in, good luck.