Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BARGOOMA!! BARGOOMA!! BARGOOMA!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Dave Grossman, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Now that I have your attention ( :D ), BARGOOMA!! (spelled exactly like that, caps and all) is the name of a mostly improv project I have going with my main drummer, Jan Jackson - drums (Motherbug and other Bay Area bands), Gene Jun - guitar (formerly of Idiot Flesh) and John Axtell - guitar (from Psychefunkapus and Bluebeard). These are all recordings that we did of jams in our rehearsal studio. They were recorded to 16-track digital. These are rough mixes of a few of those sessions edited down a bit.

There is also an additional bassist on a few tunes. Some of these are based on songs that my drummer and I have worked on with a different guitarist so they are new to the guitarist who is playing over them.

Gene edited and named these tracks for use in a quickie demo. There are some good spots and bad spots but you get to hear some of the music I've been making in the past 6 months. At least, for this improv thing. I have another thing going with another guitarists where we do more composed stuff. Plus, my Bach stuff which I am still trying to get ready to record.

Hope y'all like them. These MP3's are CD quality so they're pretty large.

http://www.unpronounceable.com/BARGOOMA!!/audio/

- Dave

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    This SO deserves a bump. I'm currently listening to Acid, and man is this some cool trash! It's jammy, but it's improvised as well (there's a HUGE difference between jamming and improvising). I am really digging this.

All TBers who hit this thread must post their impressions of these recordings and give Dave Grossman praise. This is an order!

Dave, can I be in your band? :ninja:

3. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    You got me hooked!!

4. Wow! Thanks guys! I was depressed that this thread faded away without even a single reply. Especially since our guitarist Gene Jun is kinda well known around here from his former band, Idiot Flesh, which was a precursor, of sorts, to Sleepytime Gorilla Museum.

There is another bassist on that track too. He has the more tubey middy tone. Mine is the tapping and more trebly sound. Also, John Axtell from Psychefunkapus and Bluebeard is playing too.

We actually have a gig in 2 weeks in Oakland. Unless we cancel it which is a possibility.

Benjamine, you're welcome to bring your instrument to that gig and sit in on a jam. I'm thinking that we should probably allow some other guests anyway to keep it interesting since it's just going to be my other band, (unpronounceable) and BARGOOMA!!. I'll talk to you before then. Maybe you can come by our studio and jam sometime, at least.

Thanks again,

Dave

P.S.
    I have more music at http://www.unpronounceable.com/ too.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I didn't post at first since there was so much music on there. I just downloaded it all and waited for it to sink in. I dig it!

I'd love to come play. My rock band isn't letting me get my weird Jones out.

6. I love THIS! I LOVE IT A LOT!

I wish people liked my music this much... :(