Baron Browne

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cassanova, Mar 20, 2004.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I was watching Steve Smiths instruction video and he brings out his band "Vital Information" These guys are a great fusion band IMO.

They consist of Steve Smith, Frank Gambale, Barron Brown, and some dude I cant remember on keys.

Ive heard of Steve Smith & Frank Gambale. Never have I heard of Barron Brown. Id like to get more information about him. Who has he played with him the past etc, since he is now on my list of influances. All I could find out about him was on the Vital Information website.

If you havent heard of him like me or dont like fusion, I still highly recomend that he be given a listen. You can and will definatly learn a thing or two by listening to him.
  2. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I highly recommend these three albums by Jean Luc Ponty:
    "The Gift Of Time"

They all have Barron Browne and they also have a great drummer named Rayford Griffin, and they are all very good CD's IMO.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Tom Coster's the keyboard guy.

I saw them live one time. Couldn't hear him too well over Gambale and Smith, but he's got the goods.
  4. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    imo,baron took vital information to another level. jeff andrews' playing didnt really do anything for me.

if you can find kevin eubanks' cd "sundance"(its out of print) get it. baron is on there and its some killer fusion.
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Tom Coster is a monster of a keyboardist!! He's got several cd's out with Dennis Chambers, Frank Gambale and Alfonso Johnson on them. I believe he did time with Santana back in the day. I personally liked Jeff Andrews playing. He definitely has a laidback feel. Baron Browne is funkier and livelier! I think Baron did time with Jeff Lorber's fusion band. Hellova bassist though!
  6. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The 2 Coster albums with Alphonso, Jeff Andrews, Gambale, DC, et al are examples of smoking '90s Fusion.
    Let's Set The Record Straight
    Forbidden Zone

Coster played with Santana in the Caravanserai-era
    (or very, very shortly thereafter). During this time, Santana's music moved a little towards a Miles Bitches Brew vibe...Lotus & Moonflower are 2 that come to mind.

I also like Andrews' playing.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dude, we must be twins separated at birth!! We're destined to cross paths one of these days. Check out Rhythm Magik for my bands dates. Maybe we can hook up and chat.
  8. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I also have Tom Coster's "Did Ya Miss Me?" cd and guess who's playing bass on that one?

Hint: American Idol Judge..........
  9. hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    DW I don't recall Baron doing anything with the Jeff lorber Fusion Band ( that's not to say that he didn't,I just can't remember.) however I do recall a couple of bass players that had stints with the Jeff Lorber Fusion as follows;Lester McFarland ( the 1st 2 lps,Jeff Lorber Fusion,and Soft Space) fellow Portland native-Danny Wilson ( Water Sign,Wizard Island-a must listen,Galaxian.Nathan East did the It's A Fact lp all the other, and current lps' Jeff is using another Portland native Nathaniel Philips.
    Now what I do know that Baron has also done a few recordings with Billy Cobham and yes he is an outstanding bassist.
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Love to...if I can get my slack ass outta neutral.
    I even have a rehearsal this coming Sunday; guess I better start
    re-visiting the tunes we played last year.
    The Va. Beach Oceanfront in June, huh?
  11. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

My bad, it was a Billy Cobham album I own that I remember seeing him on the back of. I don't know why I was thinking it was a Jeff Lorber Fusion album?!
  12. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I actually work at Baron's booking agency and have had the pleasure of hearing him play dozens of times in a variety of musical settings. Saying that he is an incredible bass player is almost an insult in relation to his overall musicality. I've seen him play the root of a chord, double a horn line and sing a backup vocal at the same time without breaking a sweat many, many times. Baron is a full on beast of a player and a really lovely person.
  13. OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    I had never heard him before. Last night I was watching a John Blackwell DVD and heard the wonder of his playing. You're right to say that just calling him a great bass player is not representative of his abilities. There is a section where he and Blackwell play about 10 different styles and Baron tears each one up. I could only hope to play half as well as him one day. Makes me want to go buy a Dave Holland CD for some reason.
  14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Tom Coster also co-wrote Europa, one of the most jammed on Santana songs. I love Baron Browns playing on the double live Vital Information C.D....he smokes!! I also saw the band when they had Jeff Andrews in the band....I wouldn't sell him too short, he is a real badass also!!!