Barry White's Bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by growlypants, Apr 11, 2021.

1. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    I've been listening to some old Barry White songs, and I can't seem to find who the bass player was on "You're the first, the last, my everything". Anybody know?

Jason Hollar likes this.
  2. Phillynative

Phillynative

Oct 5, 2020
    Wilton Felder. He played on a lot of Barry’s early hits and was also in the Love Unlimited Orchestra. A lot of those basslines get falsely attributed to Nathan East but I think he started playing with BW in the mid-late 70s.

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Nathan East was recording for Barry White in high school, before he went to college.

turcmic likes this.
  4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Barry White’s music is awesome.

5. growlypants

growlypants

Nov 10, 2012
    Atlanta
    I appreciate the responses. I've certainly heard of Nathan East, but not Wilton Fender. But then I'd also forgotten about the Love Unlimited Orchestra, too!

Phillynative likes this.
  6. Phillynative

Phillynative

Oct 5, 2020
    I made an appreciation thread about Felder, he’s my favorite bassist and one whom I think is very underrated. He’s more known for being the saxophonist of the Jazz Crusaders but he did a lot of bass session work in the late 60s and 70s.

Here’s an article about the “Can’t Get Enough” album that features the song that you mentioned.

Barry White - Can't Get Enough

White's 1974 release Can't Get Enough is the most consistent in his discography, and an all-time classic of baby-making bedroom soul. It begins, as many White projects do, with an opulent instrumental. "Mellow Mood Part 1" serves as a showcase for the band of ace session musicians White kept on retainer, which included rhythm guitarist Melvin "Wah-Wah" Watson and Crusaders' bassist Wilton Felder. Then comes "You're the First, the Last, My Everything," a driving disco anthem that became the blueprint for big hits by Donna Summer and others. It might just be the one track that best epitomizes the songwriting and production innovations of disco.

lowdownthump and growlypants like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021