1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Bartolini P2 size quad coils (5 String, double Jazz, CB series)

Discussion in 'For Sale: Parts, Strings, and Accessories' started by 4StringTheorist, Jun 19, 2018.

1. 4StringTheorist

4StringTheorist Supporting Member

Price:
    SOLD For sale, a pair of Bartolini P252CBJD5 pickups.

TL;DR details:
    • P2 sized soapbar for 5 string bass
    • Quad Coil
    • Classic Bass series (brighter than Original Bass series)
    • double J quad coil (new design from Bart, different from their usual quads)
    • 4 conductor wiring allows four different coil switching options, all of them zero hum

These are a bit over a year old, purchased by me from Mo at Nordstrand in June 2017. He was the first owner and never installed them. They've been installed for one year, gently used in a smoke-free home.

These pickups are for 5-string only, unsuitable for 4 or 6 string because the split between the coils is off-center. A picture below that Mo took shows the magnetic field with some test paper.

They're in great shape with full original lead length.

These pickups are quad coil, each pickup being a pair of bright tone Classic Bass series Jazz split coil pickups inside one pickup. From my reading, the first mention I find of this Bartolini double-J sort of setup is in the custom Bartolini pickups for Norm Stockton's most recent MTD signature bass. In the last few months, Bartolini has started selling pickups using this design as the "2J Squared" series.

These have four conductor (plus a shield) wiring, allowing you to wire them up in any of the following modes:
    • series
    • parallel
    • neck-side "single coil" J (actually split coil humbucking)
    • bridge-side "single coil" J (actually split coil humbucking)
    With the quad coil construction and internal wiring as a pair of split-coil J pickups, every configuration you can wire this pickup in is humbucking and dead quiet.

I've had them wired up with push-pull knobs allowing switching between series and "single" modes, and have loved both tones. My favorite was the neck pickup in series and the bridge pickup in "single" for a PJ kind of vibe.

Asking $180 shipped CONUS for the pair

20180619_153316_small. 20180619_153337_small. 20180619_153404_small. 20180619_153441_small. IMG_7849_small.JPG

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    mikezimmerman, Matthardy and Fred312b like this.
  2. Gigglingbuns

Gigglingbuns

Aug 26, 2017
    Sorry I'm a bit uneducated on the pickups. do these use bars to allow for flexible string spacing, or am I wrong about that?

4StringTheorist likes this.
  3. 4StringTheorist

It's flexible to a point. It's still only for a five string bass because of the asymmetric split coil. If you bend the heck out of the A string you can drop its volume a bit by getting it to start passing out of the coil's sensing area. (more prominent on neck pickup because string deflection from bending is bigger there)

That being said, within those coils' sensing area (see image) the magnets are bars not pole pieces, so any string location and spacing works, yes.

4. Gigglingbuns

Gigglingbuns

Aug 26, 2017
    Alright I have an SR375 that I'm seriously considering on replacing all the electronics, with the 16.5mm spacing, thanks for the info, I'll see if I can snatch this later on.

4StringTheorist likes this.
  5. mustBmtd

mustBmtd

Sep 28, 2012
    Memphis,Tn
    Will these work with 19mm spacing?

6. 4StringTheorist

Yeppers. That's what I had them on.