1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bartolini vs Duncan for Stingray

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Means2nEnd, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I am looking to get a more tight fast attack response in my 5 string MusicMan. I feel like the original Ernie Ball pickup sounds good it gets mushy when I play fast and dig in. I’m not digging the mud. I want a more modern bright tone with big bottom. Anyone have experience with these two and which one would be more what I’m looking for? I’m not so worried about if it’s the original type tone but maybe slightly extended rage and total clarity and punch.

Bartolini MV5 72MV5K

Seymour Duncan SMB-5A

I did put one the Duncan in one of my old 4 stringer MusicMan Rays and I loved what it did but I have never tried the Bart. I’m a little worried the Bart will be maybe too dark and compressed. I want totally open full throttle. Thanks...

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'd say Delano or Nordstrand.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    The Alnico Duncan should be pretty close to stock, really, but I dunno, I've only used the Ceramic one, and not one an original MM.

The Bart, dunno, maybe the Classic Bass version, their Classic Bass pickups are usually pretty open and full range.

The Nordstrand is a sweet pickup, punchy as heck, but kinda dark, maybe a step in the wrong direction for you.

I've a Delano on order to try in a bass myself, a ferrite one, can't wait to see what that's like.

SGD has them neo-buckers in Stingray shapes, they might do the trick too.

4. Greetings, I play a 5 string Sting Ray and I was really surprised at the difference DR High beams stainless steel strings made in the tone. The tone really came alive. They take a little while to settle in but then maintain a bright, consistent tone. It could make for a cheep experiment anyway.

somebrains likes this.
  5. Means2nEnd

Means2nEnd Supporting Member

I use ProSteels on my MusicMan they are the brightes string I ever heard but it mushes up in my opinion. I thnk Delano isa go. Thanks