Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bartolini Wiring Diagram

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by blipndub, Oct 26, 2004.

1. I'm not getting the sound I would like from my PJ configured Bartos and I'm wondering if the wiring is amiss. The diagram that came with the bridge pup is a bit different from standard wiring and it only shows one pickup and tone pot so I'm not sure how to link the neck pup to the bridge pup. I've searched for a Bartolini wiring diagram for about an hour online and not found anything.

Anyone have a link to a Bart wiring schematic?

The problem I'm having is that the neck pup is substantially louder than the bridge and the bridge almost sounds out of phase when it is by itself, i've adjusted height but still having the problem.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    You didn't say anything about a preamp so I assume this is passive. You can pretty much go to any site (Duncan, wherever) with two passive pups and your pot configuration and use that diagram. There may be a capacitor in it but that will change tone not function. The bart ground is the shield and the hot is the other wire.

If the pups are out of phase you can tell by adjusting the volumes the same, then increasing one or the other - and you'll hear an uneven volume change, maybe even drop though you're increasing volume on one pup. You just switch the ground and hot connections on one pup.

3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    That's possible if the bridge pickup is a humbucker, how many wires does it have? Or do any of the wires connect to more than a single pin on the bottom of the pickup?

Also you can expect the neck pickup to be roughly twice as far from the strings as the bridge pickup when balanced.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. Thanks for your replies. yes, passive.

What threw me was the Bart diagram that came with the pickup showing a cap between the tone pot and the first vol pot in addition to the cap on the tone pot. I've never wired a cap between two pots like that and i wondered if there was something else that was funny.

6. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I have a Westfield PJ bass that I had a similar problem with. I got it from eBay for £70 as a starting bass that needed some fixing up, so with the help of a few friends I wired it up following that diagram. It seems to work fine, though the new amp I ordered hasn't arrived yet so I've been running it through the computer's preamp... All the tone pot seems to do is add hiss and not effect the tone at all, though. Is this a problem with the pickups? If it helps I used a .47uf capacitor. I have a 22k one, should I try it with that instead - Or is it the computer's preamp that's messing up?

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

don't have a clue about the computer thing but would probably wait till I got the amp before making adjustments to tone.

Also don't know about the 22K capacitor as their values are typically in micorfarads, .05 being typical for bass with the larger the numeric value resulting in more bass tone (less treble bleed). Don't mess with capacitors much but the ones I've seen often have numbers/letters on them that mean nothing to me and sometimes they have no markings at all.

It's not unusual to have a capacitor placed between pups and, to my knowledge, they can basically be placed between any two connections - pot to jack, whatever.

There have been posts on capacitors so it would probably be of use to do a search.