Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Basic Ascending bassline

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sippy, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    :bassist: I just came back from my instruction, and my instructor wants me to work on this ascending bassline. I'm 90% sure I have it correct but I want to make sure I do. He taught me an ascending bassline based on the major scale.
    It's 4 notes and the fourth note is the same as the 1st. then you move it to the next note. I forgot what he called it. Ascending 3rds maybe?
    Anyway.. if somebody could decipher what i'm trying to play I want to get it in tabs just so I know i'm practicing the right thing. Can somebody help me out? Thanks a lot Guys. :eyebrow:

2. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    he/she probably is using a triad(Root,3rd,5th,Octave) played backwards of course so its Octave,5th,3rd,Root

so forward that would be
    C E G c

and backwards
    c G E C

tabwise
    ¯¯¯c¯G¯E¯C
    G|-5-------|
    D|---5-2---|
    A|-------3-|
    E|---------|

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    no thats not it :( but thanks for replying...

G|-------------------------
    D|------------------------1-
    A|----1-----1-2---1-2-4-2-4--
    E|-2-4--2-4-----4-----------

and so on down the strings.. it's very similar to the Major scale.. that is the very small part of the beginning. if I wrote the tabs correctly.

4. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Is this a "bassline" or an "exercise"? All_Your_Bass posted a commonly used bassline. I'm not sure where your tab is headed, but could it be this?

G A B, then A B C, then B C D, then C D E...

Ascending Major Scale in groups of 3

Aerospace Guy, give your teacher a call and ask him/her for clarification. I tell my bass students that they can call me or email me ANYTIME (that is reasonable) if they have a question about a lesson. Your teacher will probably appreciate you calling for clarification. It shows that you are concerned about learning your lesson and doing a good job.

Hope this helps,
    Joe

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea! actually he did say it was an excercise! I'm sorry once you said that it reminded me.. he taught me a bassline AND the excercise ... my apologies.

6. seanlava

seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    What you're describing is called a sequence. This term refers to a repeating pattern of intervals that works it's way through a "sequence" of starting points in a scale, IE 1-2-3-1, 2-3-4-2, 3-4-5-3, etc. While this does get used mostly for exercises these days, you can hear melodic lines using sequences in classical music, especially the Two Part Inventions by J.S. Bach. For a great in depth study of this concept, check out the book "Teach Yourself Advanced Electric Bass" by Clive Harrison.

7. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    yea thats similar to what he taught me.. Like I said I'm honestly sure i'm doing it right, I just forgot what it's called and the last few bars are whats throwing me off. But it's no problem I already know it backwards and forwards :) Thanks for everybodies help you guys.

8. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Given that it starts...

G|---------------------------
    D|---------------------------
    A|----1-----1-2--------------
    E|-2-4--2-4-----4------------

I bet the rest is something like this...

Code:
    G|---------|---------|---------|---------|
    D|---------|---------|---------|-----1---|
    A|-----1---|---1-2---|-1-2-4-1-|-2-4---2-|
    E|-2-4---2-|-4-----4-|---------|---------|

G|---------|---------|-----1---|---------|
    D|---1-3---|-1-3-4-1-|-3-4---3-|-4-------|
    A|-4-----4-|---------|---------|---------|
    E|---------|---------|---------|---------|
    You'll probably be asked to do this next...

Code:
    D|-4-3-1-4-|-3-1---3-|-1-----1-|---------|
    A|---------|-----4---|---4-2---|-4-2-1-4-|
    E|---------|---------|---------|---------|

D|---------|---------|---------|---------|
    A|-2-1---2-|-1-----1-|---------|---------|
    E|-----4---|---4-2---|-4-2-1-4-|-2-------|

9. TJC

TJC

Jun 28, 2002