1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Basic PA Questions

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Kickstand13, May 6, 2010.

1. Kickstand13

Kickstand13

May 5, 2010
    Hey Im not sure if this is the right forum for this but here it goes:
    I play almost exclusively in churches and venues where we try to keep stage volume to an absolute minimum, all in-ear monitors etc. I have been going direct into a DI up to now but I need to begin to seriously work on my sound so I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. The guys at GC pointed me towards a SansAmp RBI or Bass DI, any other suggestions/opinions?

2. I have a SansAmp Bass DI and get good tone from it. Works as advertised. To be honest, I don't use it much, but when I have to go direct without a stage amp, it is just the ticket.

3. zepolishbassist

zepolishbassist

Apr 17, 2009
    The Ultrafive preamp, Avalon makes it.

4. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Really, any sort of tube preamp or maybe an EQ or compressor pedal will help shape your sound before the DI.

The SansAmp BDDI is tried and true.
    MXR M-80 is a favorite.
    Tech21 VT Bass is an up and comer.

Even something designed for microphones could work out well, like the Presonus TubePre.

When you say "I need to begin to seriously work on my sound"...what about your sound do you not like?

5. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

For low cost and proven sound a MXR M-80 + IEM is very acceptable... many sound guys do not like tone shaped DI

tim

6. Weshunter413

Weshunter413

May 6, 2009
    Hickory NC
    I agree with the M-80 MXR DI. I play in my church as well in the same way you discribed and the M-80 works wonders.

P.S. I've had the sansamp DI and it was good but I still prefer the MXR.

7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    Avalon U5. really.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Indeed, if the resources are there.

If you end up going SansAmp, get the ParaDriver DI rather than the Bass Driver DI. It's much more versatile, with its semi-parametric mid and all.

9. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    I'm DI with IEM's the majority of the time.

I use the Sansamp VT bass into the supplied DI, like this:
    [​IMG]

The back-up is the MXR M80 bass DI.
    I'm comfortable with either one.

I've used modelers as well, even the cheapie, Digitech BP50

10. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    I'm chuckling at the Easy Button....mute switch?

11. philter25

philter25

Mar 26, 2010
    Germantown, MD
    What about your sound are you looking to improve? And the good thing about GC is you can bring your bass, maybe they have the amp you have in stock, and you can play with all the pedals.

I went with the programmable sansamp. I have 4 sounds with my bass, bypassed direct to the amp which is a lower acoustic type volume, then tube amp clean, then SVT with a little grunt, then distorted bass. Those 4 settings let me cover any type of music I want. For small venues, I can go right into the PA. Setup takes all of 2 minutes.

For church, any of the suggested preamps (sansamp, VT, U5, MXR) would work and be able to shape your sound a little better than the stock sound from the bass.

Best thing to do would be go to GC and try them all out and see which one you like best.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Get the RBI.;)

13. mkandolf

mkandolf

Nov 21, 2007
    Saint Clair, MI
    +1 on the SansAmp ParaDriver DI! I love mine! Very versatile tone shaper. It's the one pedal I won't be without.

14. fdeeptone

fdeeptone

Mar 26, 2009
    Newark Ohio
    If your happy with the tone coming from your bass cab you can always mic the cab and
    skip the DI. I never cared for DI much myself. even if i use my mxr or my sansamp pedal
    I still prefer to have my amp miked if someone is running sound. Just my preference.
    I like to know the sound i am getting on stage from my cabs is the same sound thats going thru the pa.