Bass Advice - Epiphone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shelby1, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Shelby1

Shelby1

Jul 25, 2013
    I recently brought a Epiphone EB-3 Bass and I really loved the sound but unfortunately it's just to heavy for me (I am female, but know men that have said the same thing!) can anyone tell me if the Epiphone Thunderbird is the same weight? I have heard this bass is also heavy. I am looking for a back up bass so I would like something similar sounding that isn’t too expensive but lighter! :)

2. IncX

IncX

Jul 23, 2007
    Philippines
    an epi t-bird is usually light... its just its shaped in a way that pulls your shoulder big time.

i really dont recommend it ... at 5'7, 200 lbs, who works out regularly, its hurts strapping it on for an hour

3. m1ghty GIR

m1ghty GIR

Jun 24, 2013
    Spain
    Well, in case it's the weight that bothers you, you could try out an Epiphone EB-0. It's basicaly the same bass as the one you have. Difference being that it doesn't have the mini humbucker and it's also a shortscale.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    +1

5. Unfortunately allot of inexpensive basses tend to be on the heavier side of the scale.
    Although I have never tried one but perhaps a semi-acoustic bass will help weight wise. Years ago I used to have a "headless" bass (Washburn) that reminded me of a canoe paddle and it was small and fairly light.
    I see on "Evil Bay" that there are still new and used small headless basses for sale,,perhaps start your search there.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Headless-Ba...y-/171069205355?pt=Guitar&hash=item27d484eb6b

6. If it is weight that is the main deal breaker, try a Ibanez SR 300 or similar. They are the lightest basses I have ever owned and they are far, far better than a Epi SG bass.

The bolt on Tbirds are not heavy in my experiance but they can be uncomfortable for some people, myself included, due to the shape and the way they "hang" on the body. Also the Tbird sounds nothing like a SG bass. The Tbird, even the cheap one, will blow the SG away any day of the week. A completely different animal.

7. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    You can look for a Viola bass...

It's a small and light (30" scale, hollowbody) and more "McCartney's" than "Bruce's", of course

But it delivers, it's in the same price range and very warm and user friendly.

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. danster

danster Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    I have an Epi Allen Woody and its semi-hollow and shortscale. Sounds great too!

9. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    My suggestion would be a Danelectro Long Horn. I have one from the 90's that's the upgraded Chinese reissue version. It's extremely light and plays great. (Note - I have many basses to compare it to.) It really thumps with flats and does nice sound changes with the 2 stacked knob controls. :cool:

10. Shelby1

Shelby1

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks for all the advice! i have heard good things about Ibanez so will give them a try, plus a few others mentioned. :)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 31, 2021