Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

bass amp micing

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by grinder, Sep 29, 2003.

1. grinder

grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    Anyone tried using a shure beta52/57 or similar mic combination for micing a bass amp?I want to try this setup but, I don't have an extra short mic stand at the moment.

2. I have used a sm57 and many other mics. I also take a line out when possible and mix the cab signal with the line for definition.

A quality DI such as the Countryman 85 for passive basses, or Raven Labs for active basses will deliver the full range of your bass to the board. And yes, DI is completely dry, and it sounds awesome depending on your recording equipment! This is my studio and it's for commercial use.
    [​IMG]
    ;) Treena

3. grinder

grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    Sweet studio.I've been using a 52 and DI.The mic signal sounds good but, the DI is terrible.With the two signals mixed it sounds good but, not great.Since I have a 57 also, I was thinking the mic combo might sound better.I'm just waiting on another mic stand so I can try it out.

4. Two mics will work but make sure to watch for phase cancellation when setting up. You will want to set the mics at an angle and then move them in and out until the sound is Phat. The thinner sound means one of the mic is cancelling out the other mic.

When you get your mic stand PM me and I will help you if you like!

;) Treena