Bass and Drums showoff

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Circus, Mar 23, 2004.

1. Hey, my band is having its first performance coming up april 10th, we've our set list of 10 originals and 4 covers ready to go, but the drummer and I want to show off some skill and do something together, what do you suggest? I was thinking of something with a smokin slap line, or anything that can wow a crowd. Good drum part is important as well. Thanks!
  2. since i have no knowledge of you or your drummer's groove ability, i'm gonna play it safe and say that doing the solo thing is pretty risky...its a good way to lose a crowd if its anything less than perfect.
  3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Listen to some funk, jazz, and acid jazz. Learn the bass lines, and get the drummer to learn the drum beats. Play them together without the other instruments, and you have yourself a drum & bass solo that can go for however long you want.
    My personal artist of choice? Jamiroquai and Directions In Groove (D.I.G) ;)
    The reason for a 'funky' drum and bass solo? well, i presume (sorry) your in a rockish sorta band, so it wouldnt hurt to throw some funkay grooooves in ther, and really show the audience about your broad listening spectrum ;)
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    First gig? I'd tend to keep it simple. Rather than dropping in another tune, how about taking one of the songs you're playing building up the intensity and then dropping it back to just a drum and bass groove. Jam around a bit, making sure you don't loose the groove, and then let the other instruments gradually come back in until you round off with another chorus or two.

Sure, it's a cliche, but it works really well.

5. That can backfire too. I know when I go to a rock show, the last thing I wanna here is Sly And the Family Stone...
  6. It is only going to last a minute or so, it is just an intro. As for the drummers groove ability, he is the best drummer I have ever played with, so that shouldn't be a problem. We are a rock band, but have a couple funky songs that are rhcp like.
  7. StrudelBass

Jul 6, 2002
    Lightning Bolt - "13 monsters". :)
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Just a quick question for clarification. You say it's the band's first gig... how experienced are the individual members of the band? Your profile doesn't give quite enough clues and there's a big difference between what's appropriate if it's a first performance for most of you and you've only been playing a year or two each to if you've got years of experience behind you in other ventures.

9. Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    Old Joke....Explorers hit a tiny island inhabited with strange native tribes. There is a drumbeat in the distance, (think indians) all the natives look frightened. Native tells explorers when drum beats stops...VERY BAD....another native walks up looking frightened. he looks at explorers and says "when drum beat stops VERY BAD".. and runs off. Another native is scurrying by and the explorers grab him and say what is wrong? He says "when drum beat stops, VERY BAD!" They ask why what happens???? he replies "Bass solo!" HeHe Sorry.....
  10. Ditto... rock fans will listen to guitar wankery, but drum/bass/rhythm wankery doesn't usually go over very well in my experience unless it's short or 'the big drum solo'. I have a few solo breaks in my band but they're only 1-4 bars long - anything more and I think people would get bored. A drum and bass groove in the context of a song to bring things down is a much better idea IMO.
  11. Well I have been playing for 4 years, and like to think I can handle myself very well. Our drummer has been playing for about 8 or 9 years, and he kicks a$$. Vocalist was in a band singing for 4 years and did some very cool stuff, on tv a few times, things like that. Our guitar player has been playing for 9 years. Keep in mind they are all 22 and 23, while I am only 18.
  12. Make up a funk groove, drop out after 4 times, then drums solo, back into the song. Short and sweet. For example, do like the end of Apache rose peacock, drop out , drum solo, back into song, but do your own idea not A.R.peacock, just the structure and vibe.
  13. +1 This may work best for a first gig. It will also help keep the audience interested. If you decide to go with the bass/drum duet make sure it's thought out and rehearsed. You wouldn't want to mess this up.
  14. LouisB

LouisB Guest

Aug 23, 2003
    Guernsey, UK
    Sounds like a good idea to me too.

On the other hand there's a really good local band with a superb bassist, and while the guitarist was tuning up the drummer and bassist played a very cool version of the Super Mario theme, for about 30 seconds, the crowd loved it.