1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Big Muff Pi Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by reecebors89, Sep 15, 2010.

1. What do you think about this pedal and what bass and amp are you using with it? What is the best setup for this pedal to get the best tone?

2. Gwardar

Gwardar

May 24, 2009
    Australia
    I found Big Muff the best distortion pedal for bass. This opinion is of course very subjective, so you need to listen to other ones too.

To put things into perspective I've also got:

- Boss Overdrive - sounds like beehive or disturbed yellowjacket nest
    - MXR Blow Torch - insect killing lamp on steroids
    - SansAmp Bass Driver - great preamp, but mundane overdrive.

In addition I've got 2 rigs with valve preamps that I can overdrive and a tube overdrive that I built myself.

Big Muff is so far the winner. It has dark/farty sound, so it you want some bright sizzle it may not be the best. But for fat sound it is the most organic and juicy. I use it with different settings - hard to describe the best ones (would heavily depend on bass, playing style, etc).

Used it with Mesa Boogie M-Pulse and Markbass Little Tube 800 with StingRay5 and Warvick Corvette basses. In all configurations it won over any other combination.

I have no choice but to give it a good review :)

3. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    No sarcasm intended, but have you used the search function?

4. I love mine! I run mine through a Eden head and cab... I turn the knobs until it sounds good. I use a fretless Warwick, a fretted Carvin and a custom (made by me) 6 string bass through it. They all sound good.

[​IMG]

Thats me! You can't see the pedal there... but its there! Oh... thats my Spector that I traded for the Carvin... It sounded good also. :)

5. i agree, it is the best, i run it with a rickenbacker 4003 and a SVT and it's just the best, i havent found a better pedal.

6. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    I didn't really care for it, I much prefer the black Russian model.

I use a passive jazz bass into a Mesa 400+

7. I like especially because of the blend, and how it works with my active Jazz, however the tonal palette is limited, it does not have many sounds like a Fuzzrocious for example.

8. Try the Boss ODB-3 through the SANSAMP. You have to keep the Boss output a little on the low side... but it wails through the Sansamp. I don't like the ODB-3 by itself. However, the ODB does cure the somewhat anemic fuzz/overdrive out of the Sansamp. Works for me.

If I could figure out how to post a sound file, I would whip up a short recording and post it.

9. Just upload the clip to something like Zshare. It will provide you with a link to post in the forum once it has uploaded.

10. Gwardar

Gwardar

May 24, 2009
    Australia
    I don't think I tried that. Actually it makes sense because ODB is stronger on the high frequency side while SansSamp is more on the low one, so they should combine well.

My concern about using two pedals simultaneously is the noise, which sometimes I have trouble controlling.

Also I haven't got any idea whether you can post samples here, it would be great if you could.

There's also MXR El Grande Fuzz - I really liked the samples from it, but I'm not too sure now after being disappointed with MXR BlowTorch (don't buy unless you're looking for a bug zapper - looks and sounds the same :))

11. Give it a try and let me know what you think. Just as a starting point, I kept the "level" control on both pretty low until I found a good mix. I have the BDDI version and I use the "SVT" and "FAT" presets (with some tweaking). The "FAT" preset sounds pretty good with the ODB "Natural Overdrive" preset. Again, they are both tweaked a bit but they are good launching points.

12. I use the big muff pi with a Laney R4H 450W and with my MM Stingray.

I find that i have to turn everything up to max in order to get the distortion to shine through and the volume is the only thing i ever change depending on location.

I personally think its great, but have little experience with muff/distortion pedals.

It does what i need in both my rock and brass fuelled rock band.

Lee

13. Jonyak

Jonyak

Oct 2, 2007
    Ottawa, Ont
    which is exactly how the el grande sounds.

I had one for a while and never got a good sound out of it.

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021