1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bass build, questions on Gotoh 201

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by P_easy, Oct 14, 2013.

1. P_easy

P_easy

Oct 14, 2013
    Whats up everyone,

I recently got around to building a bass that Ive been wanting for quite some time. I bought a warmoth body wired with EMG P/J set and slapped a MIM Fender neck on there. I really like the sound, but I just couldn't get it set up like I wanted, so I took it into the local shop. It took them two weeks and it was a minor improvement at best :meh:

Anyway, the body came with a Gotoh 201 bridge with those big fat saddles on it and even with a full pocket shim, the E and G strings are still too high IMO, even with the saddles down all the way. So I know people are into filing off the bottoms of the saddles to address this, but I do not have access to tools to do that properly. I'm planning on replacing the 201 saddles with s203's by Gotoh, which are the standard 8mm. I tried transferring the saddles from my fender bridge over but the screws were too big for the holes on the bridge. Can anybody confirm that the screws for s203 are the same size as the s201 saddles?

Short Version: First time bass builder. Can anybody confirm that the screws for s203 are the same size as the s201 saddles?

2. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    Is the full-pocket shim tapered or just flat? If it's flat, you might want to taper it so the thickest part is at the pickup end of the pocket. That will change the neck-to-body angle and allow for lower action without the saddles bottoming out.