1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass building "blog"

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Eric Rene Roy, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    After a nice eMail exchange with Roger Hargrave he put me onto a thread he's doing on another site about his bass building adventure.

http://www.maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/328014-making-a-double-bass/

Roger is a highly respected violin maker and author, as well as one of the best studies on Italian instruments and how they were made. I'd love to see this bass when done!

2. mmoehring

mmoehring

Jun 25, 2012
    East Texas
    Wow, what a passionate man. He somehow expresses in words how many if us feel when we first see an original master instrument.

3. Nuggulux

Nuggulux

Oct 24, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Roger is one of the finest violin makers alive and it's great to read his enthusiasm about building a bass for the first time and his openness to learning.

4. Really cool thread, and great peaks into his techniques! I especially appreciate the purfling making lesson!

Here's a cool series of videos from an italian maker that my maestro pointed me towards. Note how slow and deliberately his motions are. Good reminder to slow down! I love watching him place his cuts when carving the back of the pegbox into the duck tail and up into the scroll. Così precisa!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCggqGrdYUEovaC9UKnSMD3g/videos?flow=grid&view=0

5. I thought I'd bump this thread in case anybody is interested, Roger's bass building thread on the maestronet is up to 20 pages, and I can't believe how much depth he goes into on so many aspects of building, from molds and scrolls to making purfling to varnish.

Good reading!

6. Is it true this bass is for sale at $150,000?

7. keiranohara

keiranohara Commercial User

Nov 7, 2007
    Ossining, NY
    Luthier at AES Fine Instruments
    Yes, it is currently being shown Reed Yeboah Fine Violins, New York, New York.