Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass bumpers

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by azflyman, Jul 30, 2004.

1. azflyman

azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    :help:
    Where can I get some bass bumpers? Do you just make them? Can you buy them? I don't have a clue but I know I want some to protect me bass.

az

2. I made mine out of 3" x ½" strips of brown Gaffer Tape:

- Wil

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Some folks use cut down cello pegs for this purpose.

4. The Warburton Bass Bumpers
    Auto parts store....Small fan belt.......cut four pieces in 2" strips.....glue in place, as close to where the top joins the ribs or right on liners if your bass has outside liners.
    Be sure to use HIDE Glue in case you get some in the seams.
    (You may have rough up a little of the varnish to get a good hold)
    The nice thing about these are that they act like little shock absorbers. You can always use some hard wood.....only install on your bass' left side!
    Good luck.

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Paul, you did this to your Bohmann?!?!?!?! :eek:

6. uptonbass

uptonbass Proprietor, Upton Bass String Instrument Co.

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    At Upton Bass I make bumbers out of old junk ebony fingerboards cut down to small strips. On the outside of the bumpers I glue a strip of black leather. Looks sharp and stays true to the instrument.

Thank You
    Gary Upton
    Double Bassist, Luthier, & President of Upton Bass
    Gary@uptonbass.com
    1-860-536-7555
    --------------------------------------------------
    The clef carbon fiber bass bow:
    http://www.uptonbass.com/product_show.asp?item=813

7. uptonbass

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
  8. I used to install bumpers made of ebony as Gary Upton described, but after having a customer split a rib by laying it down too hard on a hard surface, I've gone to the Warburton idea of small fan belt sections. From a distance over a foot, they look just like ebony but give a little bit of cushion that ebony doesn't. However, if you are careful when laying down your instrument, there really isn't any need for bumpers. I don't have them on my personal basses.

9. I remember laying my then new bass down with the utmost care at a gallery opening gig when someone tottered by with too much free champagne and kicked the neck making the bass spin round on the wood floor. Ho hum.

10. uptonbass

Oct 8, 2002
    Mystic CT
    Founder UptonBass.com
    Bob,

You dont feel a high gauge leather takes care of that impact resistance? The leather I use is nice and thick....

Rubber on the side of a bass......I can't think of any clients that would let me do that.

Thank You
    Gary Upton
    Double Bassist, Luthier, & President of Upton Bass
    Gary@uptonbass.com
    1-860-536-7555
    --------------------------------------------------
    The clef carbon fiber bass bow
    http://www.uptonbass.com/product_show.asp?item=813

11. Gary, that might work, but frankly it isn't worth the time and effort to make that combination when the v-belt does the job atleast equally well. I can install a set of "Warburton's" in less than 15 minutes. My clients are more concerned with protection than if the bumper happens to be made out of a rubber product. Try it yourself. With a little black leather dye on them, they are very hard to tell from ebony (at any reasonable distance) and it doesn't have to have a thick leather installed over it. The belt is black all the way through. I don't know of many leathers that can make that claim.

12. Actually I did. What's the big deal???Read Branstetters post below. Bob Ross was experimenting with some laminated Ebony/purple heart that he insisted putting on the Bohmann, but I had the fan belt on there for years. As Bob says, they look just like ebony with a little flat black paint!

13. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    Hrm.. well with such a precious bass, I wouldn't think I'd do taht myself but maybe it's good for an old bass to have bumpers on it. I'm just afraid that glueing on something like that might be hard to remove. I'm fine with just being gentle when putting the bass down. Actually I need a better padded bag, cuz I tend to bang it around more when I'm carrying it and not when I'm playing it. :D

14. HIDE GLUE IS EASY TO REMOVE
    The Bohmann has purfling IN THE EDGES right where you lay it down....I would never NOT have some kind of bumpers on it!!

15. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It should be noted that if you are going to use fan belts, stay true to the instrument's origin and pedigree. If it's a Czech bass, use Yugo fan belts, if it's German, use Mercedes fan belts...

Actually, this is the first time I've heard of using fan belts. Hmm, not a bad idea... my favorite lately has been very thick leather, which is then dyed to the color of the instrument. fwiw.

16. Try it you'll like it!
    Another hint...I check the curve of the bouts where the bumpers are gonna go, and then put them, with the pre-bent curve, in the vise over night and voila....pre-bent custom bass bumpers!

17. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    This raises some disturbing questions, more burning issues for TalkBass to address. What do you use on a Chinese bass? If you have an Italian bass and can't afford a Ferrari fan belt will the bass become unreliable if you use a Fiat belt? If I'm not mistaken Kay basses were made in Chicago, does that mean a fan belt from a Chicago-built Tucker? (of which only 48 were ever produced)

18. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Way off the DB topic but, for the record, 51 of those Tuckers were built (remember, he HAD to produce at least 50). :smug:

As for bumpers, I'm crazy enough to carry a thick pad if the gig location has a hard floor. When I'm not playing, it goes in the stand. To each his own, I'd never want to glue anything on my baby!

19. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    So, on my New Standard, I should use a big old Harley drive belt...I could probably drop the bass from waist height with no damage.

20. BenderR

BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    I stand corrected and humbled. 51 it was and 51 it ever shall be.